Keith,

I think that you are touching something very important issue here and I
will suggest a list of motives for GM+, please add to it,

1. Copying of individual species, cloning is a sort of GM. This can be/is
translated to a business, but the original can most of the time not be
subject to copy right/owner ship.

2. Gene correction in individuals. This is a growing technique, beneficial
and a part of health business.

3. Gene modifications in food supply. The major worry is the possibility of
crop monopolization as business venture. With strong patent and copy right
laws a crop can potentially be owed by a company. Regardless if the GM is
useless/useful/dangerous, it can with efficient marketing and
patent/copyright legislation be owned by a corporation. By pushing out the
use of the natural and free variants, the corporation becomes the owner of
a specie and it is no limit for the potential business benefits. GM then
becomes more of a Brand marketing than something useful for humanity and
the potential risks for misuse or damage is higher. You already see this by
the US very strong push for world wide protection of patents and copyrights.

4. Real beneficial GM, without involvement of commercial benefits, could
also be an alternative. Will probably be better researched and higher
demands of proof of usefulness and better risk assessment.

You are welcome to add to the list. I wanted to say this because I belive
that what we mostly discuss is alternative 3 and this is a very
disgraceful, disgusting and destructive alternative. I am not prepared to
write of potential benefits in GM, but think that any GM should not be
protected by patents or copyrights and the same should be valid for some
medical treatments, products and procedures. This would be the best
protection for humanity.

Hakan

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM