Hi Hakan

>Keith,
>
>I hope that you did not misunderstood what I said about
>the need of energy planning. In my mind it is nothing more
>effective than a wide spread movement on implementation
>of small scale production units. Decentralized decision
>making, implementation and production is the fastest way
>to do what is needed.

No, I didn't misunderstand, Hakan, it's implied in your first post
and I know you think that way. But many others don't, yet, and I
reckon it can't be said too often. And I just got you to say it
again! :-) Very nicely put too.

>What I am saying is that it must be a part of a plan,
>otherwise it will become vulnerable to the resistance that we
>experience today. It must have a high priority for the society,
>otherwise the financial and logistical support will be lacking.
>It must also be clear for everybody that it is socially and
>economically rewarding. In short, it is the politicians clear
>responsibility to create an environment for the decentralized
>efforts to be able to grow and nourish. The politicians should
>be the gardeners that remove the weeds and give the movement
>space to grow. Today they are growing weed and corrupting
>the soil with stones to block any effective preparation.

Well, let's not misunderstand each other again! - I also know that
you and me both have MUCH more faith (?) that the second type of
gardener is more in their line than the first, if they're even
capable of the first, or even capable of being gardeners (husbandry)
at all. Which I doubt, though there are always exceptions (I hope).

That's why I said this in the earlier post:

>I guess that's why a lot of biofuellers, especially homebrewers,
>regard it almost as a mission, guerrilla biofuelling - let's face it,
>if we wait around for the powers-that-be to take the lead the sky
>will fall on our heads first. Literally.

So yes, part of a plan, but if it's not to be coopted/hijacked by the
usual suspects it has to be rooted in local initiatives at the
grass-roots level, based on a strong foundation at the bottom. Huh -
one has to be that tautologous in this day and age when it's deemed
only natural to "base" everything at the top, hoist it all up on high
to a centrally commanding position, thus most precariously producing
an upside-down pyramid, and proclaim: "What a superbly balanced piece
of architecture!"

It should be people-oriented ("as if people mattered"), local
community-centred, in such a way that the politicians get told "Do it
or else." Or else no votes. A high priority for society indeed, but
how is that to be achieved? There's multi-billion dollars worth of
spin shoving them in just the opposite direction, plus virtually the
entire weight of the political machinery and all who sail in it,
along with the whole corporate world.

On the other hand, the big biofuels companies with their fancy PR
agencies admit that the grass-roots biodiesellers are more effective
than they are in getting the message across, and I think that's quite
obvious.

I liked what Gustl said about the Internet the other day:

>We  have,  with  the  advent  of the internet, the chance to do things
>right.   What  is  necessary  is  a  change  of heart.  When the heart
>changes  the  mind  will  follow.   The  internet  can  be  the  great
>equalizer.   It  gives  people  of diverse and divergent backgrounds a
>chance  to get to know each other without the extra baggage of all the
>artificial  differentiators we impose on one another.  We can see that
>most people want exactly what we want.  A good, peaceful life with the
>assurance  that our children will have a good, peaceful life.  We have
>the chance to reach across any artificial border and give each other a
>hand  rather  than  a  fist.   We  have the ability and opportunity to
>communicate  with  people  rather  than  governments  or  the   media.
>Politics  and  politicians with their running mates, the monied class,
>don't  give us that opportunity.  They exploit people and they exploit
>resources  with  the  goal  of maintaining the status quo which is the
>Haves  controlling  and  using the Have Not's for their own interests.
>The internet gives us an opportunity to stand back and see things from
>different perspectives.  One of distance when looking at our "own" and
>one  of  proximity  when  looking  at "others" without the blinders of
>politics, race, age, national origin, sex, religion, etc.
>
>Back  in  the  sixties  they  used  to say, "If you're not part of the
>solution  you  are  part of the problem." I think that is apropos. And
>politics  is  not  part  of  the  solution. It gives the appearance of
>meaningful  effort  with  little lasting results or change and that is
>dangerous.  Bandages  rather  than  cures.  The  cure  is  effected by
>personal example action...one on one. Evolution. Slow, to be sure, but
>certain.   Individuals,  small  groups.  It will grow.  Politics lulls
>one  into believing something really has been accomplished by covering
>up problems, diverting attention.

As we also both know, since it's the US we're talking about,
Washington might be Washington, but Americans are Americans no matter
what, and they'll solve this problem. I have half an idea they
already have - the DIY biofuels movement has grown tremendously in
the US in the last three or four years. It wasn't even a movement
then,but it sure is one now. I think it's probably unstoppable
already.

Regards

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511