http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=1395&list=BIOFUELS-BIZ

I was thinking about this post that Keith referenced and I'd like to
revisit it.  I think it was a good post and raised some
thought-provoking ideas.   I must have either missed it before, or not
fully appreciated it.

The reason it's on my mind in part is also in combination with this
morning's post by Keith as to an interview with the Energy Investment
banker who was raising such challenging issues as the peak of oil and
gas production, but who seemed to offer a sort of industry-typical
stumped answer, beyond the usual (more nuclear?  drilling for coal in
the rockies?  Crossing fingers and hoping it doesn't get too hot
tomorrow?  [I love this last one.])

In a later post (though higher up on the page) he said:

>A bit more on this, following my previous post (relevant bits below).I said it
>was a meaningless question whether we could grow "enough" biofuel, and that
>the figures don't make a lot of sense.Consider it from another point of view,
>for an idea of how little sense the "official" macro-level calculations make.

Although his comments were directed to the specific repeated question
of biofuels and what percentage of our energy needs could be filled
with by them, I think his approach, his answer, applies to more than
just biofuels.  If his answer in part is that the question is
mis-stated, over-simplistic and does not lend itself to the sorts of
answers we will ultimately find realistic, then I think this response
and our analysis should also be carried to the overall bigger
question(s) concerning energy supply and demand, and finding a
sustainable balance for ourselves on this planet.

We have the Investment Banker, for example, dismissing wind and solar
energy out of hand for example, and at first I want to say how stupid
that is, but to go deeper, it doesn't matter what he says or what I
say.  We have real human needs going forward, so one way or another
individuals are going to need energy, and they're going to find a
small part of their diminished demand to be fullfillable by all manner
of innovative technologies, including solar and wind.

As Keith keeps emphasizing, these decisions are not necessarily going
to take place from some grand dictatorial macro energy person.  By the
nature of our lives as human beings, they will be made in part by
individuals at local levels trying to cope with whatever worldwide
economic change and challenges may be presented in energy sourcing.
This is not to predict the future.  In a fascist society, as some are
perhaps wont to create, there would be a styming of nascient local
efforts.  We have arguably seen much of this on many levels in many
ways, whether it be with red tape stopping nascient local ethanol
plant-building to homeowners stopped from getting any compensation for
solar energy delivered to the grid, to EV leasors having vehicles
ripped from their garages by Auto companies, to homeowners not allowed
to consider electric vehicles and having a severely limited supply of
diesels to choose from.

There is a little irony I think, since the sorts of "capitalistic"
folks who go on about property rights and individual rights don't seem
to like this localized view of handling energy demand questions, and
yet what is wrong with supporting individual and homeowner rights in a
decent view of capitalism or freedom?

Anyway, the recent posts we've had, raising the spectre of energy
supply running out in some ways may, in hindsight, amount to some
chicken-litteism, but if they're not, they cause us to give some
thought to what the answers (if any) might be.  And if at first the
answers seem impossible, then we should perhaps restate the questions
as Keith suggests.  If there are to be some uphevals and price-spikes
ahead, then we will be asked for "The Answer" but I don't think
there's any such thing if the response set is confined to single
Energy Technologies.  The only way I see "An Overall Big Answer" is if
it includes a *very* wide variety of energy technologies, with no
dictatorial or pseudo-free-market limiting of choices, and *also* some
change in how our societies do business, how individuals source and
use their energy and waste disposal needs, how market forces are
allowed to communicate scarcity and environmental concerns to those
individuals, how environmental concerns are legally enforced both
locally and internationally, and of what energy technologies those
individuals are able to avail themselves.

MM

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM