Hi MM and all

> >Climatologists give waterworld warning for Earth
>
>Some interesting points.
>
>I think esbuck's claim that we can't know if there's really any
>correlation between global warming and human actions is one we might
>hear again from the U.S., as it comes under tarriff penalties and the
>like from the WTO. It's not going to matter, at that point, what
>scientific subjectivism the U.S. tries to launch, if there is
>sufficient concensus from outside the country.
>
>Of course, it won't have to pay too many penalties directly if it does
>not wish to, as a hegemonous and powerful country.  But there is no
>getting around that international trade requires mutual agreements and
>consent... if penalties are levied in that arena, the U.S. Economy
>will pay, whether anyone here likes it or not, and whether anyone here
>agrees with the theory of human-caused-global-warming or not.
>
>MM

You might be interested in this, from New Zealand:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/BU0308/S00222.htm

Climate change: liability looms for directors

Tuesday, 26 August 2003, 8:50 am
Press Release: Phillip Fox

Professionals and company directors should beware the risks of
climate change, an environmental lawyer warns. These risks include
increases in average temperature, sea level rise, and increased
frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, as well as
changing regulatory, social and economic expectations.

Phillips Fox climate change partner, Helen Atkins, comments "While
the implications of climate change are much talked about, to date few
business people have integrated this information into their day to
day decision making. The risk for company directors and professionals
is that they will become liable for losses suffered as a result."

One area where this issue will really bite is waterfront property.
Title boundaries on the waterfront are often defined by reference to
the high tide mark. As a result, owners of low-lying waterfront land
could literally see their titles washed away by climate change. If
this does occur, they are likely to look to recover their losses from
those involved in their decision to purchase the property.

But it is not only property professionals who should be concerned. Ms
Atkins points out that waterfront property is only an example.
"Climate change is a cross cutting issue with implications for every
sector of the economy. Business people need to make themselves aware
of the likely changes to the physical, regulatory and economic
environment, and treat these like any other commercial risk."

Internationally there is growing recognition of climate change as a
business issue. A recent report prepared for the Carbon Disclosure
Project (a coalition of institutional investors representing more
than US $4 trillion in assets) identifies a series of business risks
raised by climate change.

The CDP report notes 'The financial impacts of climate change extend
well beyond the obvious, emissions-intensive sectors. Companies in
the financial services, transportation, semi-conductor, telecoms,
electronic equipment, food, agriculture, and tourism sectors among
others are also affected' (full text of the report is available at
www.cdproject.net).

While this is sobering news, it does not spell disaster. "It is a
case of being alert, but not alarmed," says Ms Atkins. "The CDP
report contains some good news for businesses that are prepared to do
the work. It concludes that 'Managing the financial risks of climate
change does not necessarily impose a net cost on companies. Success
stories can be identified in virtually every industry sector we
examined; substantial commercial opportunities are also being created
and captured on the upside.' "

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM