In a message dated 8/26/03 11:54:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In a message dated 8/26/2003 2:37:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >I have read some vegoils have more iodine than others. Sunflower oil has
> >too much iodine  ( according with European Union rules).
>
> Dear Fellows and Friends:
>
> This statement cause me to recall that in the southern states of the United
> States,
> food grown had little or no iodine.  I can only presume that that could
> include Sunflower
> or any plant.  Goiter was a health problem back in the 1920's there when
> Iodine was
> added to salt as a supplement to provide the needed iodine to diets.  It is
> quite rare
> these days to see football size thyroid glands protruding from sides of
> necks.
>
> I suggest that the location where the plants are grown may differ in content
>
> in the
> soil of elements and compounds.  I do not think Sunflowers produce iodine
> themselves
> or do they?
>
> Best regards,
> Sid.

Are you, perhaps, referring to the "iodine number?"  Iodine tends to add
across double bonds of hydrocarbons, fats, etc., and is used as a measure of
the
compound's unsaturation.  The iodine number is useful to track hydrogenation of
fats and oils, and develop methods to split longer-chain compounds.  It is a
fairly easy test to run.  See, for example, "Official Methods of Analysis" by
American Organization of Analytical Chemists.

-- Jay

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM