http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff08262003.html

August 26, 2003

The Great Oil Gouge

Burning Up that Tax Rebate

By DAVID LINDORFF

Remember that $400 family credit that you got from the IRS (assuming
you weren't one of those 8 million poor families that the Republicans
and the president decided didn't deserve a tax rebate)?

Well, if your family has the typical two cars and two drivers, and
you each drive the typical 15,000 miles a year and get the typical 20
miles per gallon, that windfall will be more than eaten up by New
Years by what might be called the Bush/Cheney oil price surcharge,
which has seen gas prices soar in recent weeks to the high they
reached last March on the eve of the war against Iraq. And that's not
counting the even more additional money you'll be forking over for
heating oil this winter, which for a typical home in the Northeast or
Midwest, could be $450-500 (not to mention your higher electric
bills, since a lot of U.S. electricity is generated by oil-fired
plants, besides which coal and natural gas prices rise in tandem with
oil prices).

Think back a bit to when oil prices were surging last March. The oil
industry at the time blamed those record high prices on the unusually
cold winter, which had depleted crude oil reserves, and on concern
over threats to the Middle Eastern oil supply as a result of the
coming war--concerns which caused oil traders to bid up the
per-barrel price of crude oil.

Of course, the war never did produce any delays in Middle Eastern oil
deliveries, and in fact, some Iraqi oil is now being added to the
world market, which should be bringing prices down, not up. And there
certainly hasn't been any unusual demand placed upon supplies.

So why the record increase, which the Lundberg Survey says over the
past two weeks has been the largest price hike on record since the
outfit began keeping records 50 years ago?
According to the oil industry, the problem this time was temporary
refinery shutdowns caused by the East Coast blackout, and by a break
in a pipeline in Arizona.

Does anyone really believe this malarky? The blackout lasted a couple
of days, and was not nationwide. Indeed, it was in an area--the
Northeast--not particularly known as a center of oil drilling and
refining. There was no blackout in California, or in Texas, or even
in the Southeast--all areas with far more refinery activity. And as
for that pipeline in Arizona, it is not that crucial to U.S. oil
supplies except in Arizona and New Mexico.

What's really going on here is collusive price gouging by an industry
with a history of such behavior, and one that in this current
political environment has become almost synonymous with the national
government.

In recent years, the number of oil firms in the country, and the
world, has been dramatically reduced, with the mergers of Exxon and
Mobil, of Amoco and Arco and British Petroleum, and of Texaco and
Chevron. That means a lot fewer companies competing.

In addition, the oil industry long ago learned how to collude on
pricing without having to technically violate the anti-trust laws by
sitting together in a single room or chatting on a single phone
hook-up. Because these companies share refineries, share tank farm
storage facilities, and share pipelines, it's easy for each company
to know all the details of its "competitors'" production plans,
reserves, distribution and pricing. There are few if any secrets
among them. That's about all you need to have collusion in an
industry where the main product is a commodity, priced the same the
world over. And collusion clearly works far better in this industry's
interest than competition.

Everyone has seen how collusion works at the retail level. In my own
community, I have three gas stations all within a block of each
other--an Exxon station, a Sunoco station and a Texaco station. Every
time one garage raises its price by a penny, the other two follow
suit with a speed that makes your head spin. Rarely are any of them
out of line by more than a penny.

The other thing you've probably noticed is that whenever some
incident happens in the news that might logically be construed as
crimping oil production or delivery--say a pipeline break or a
blackout--prices at the retail pumps jump.

Immediately.

Yet the gas in the tanks underground was put there days ago, and was
refined weeks, or even months ago.

Notice what happens when the pipeline gets fixed or the lights come
back on though.

Did the pump price drop right back down?

No. That takes weeks, if it happens at all.

That is not the behavior of a competitive market.

And at the producer level, the situation is even more corrupt and
non-competitive.

We Americans, who live and die by the automobile and by the oil that
fuels it, are quick to condemn the slightest increase in our taxes
(and to praise any politician who reduces our tax bill by even a tiny
amount). Yet so indoctrinated are we with "free market" ideology,
that we accept without a word of protest any increase in our fuel
prices as a natural disaster over which we have no power or say.

Not that this Administration, whose key members almost all hail from
the oil patch, would ever order an anti-trust investigation of the
oil industry, even if we did start rebelling.

Dave Lindorff is the author of Killing Time: an Investigation into
the Death Row Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal. A collection of Lindorff's
stories can be found here: http://www.nwuphilly.org/dave.html

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM