Hello Mark

>Hi all,
>
>I'd like to point out that a big downside of Euro priced fuel in the US
>is the asinine tendency to produce goods in one part of the Country
>(World) and then TRANSHIP all across the country.

I posted a Guardian article a while back about a British company that
ships IIRC strawberries grown in Britain to Kenya to have them
prettily packaged, then to be flown back to Britain for sale.

We quite often rant about the food miles issue here, it's rather
relevant, rather comparable to the similarly asinine centralized
power supply as opposed to localized, micro-niche, biofuels
production. IMO organic food is LOCAL food. I don't care how it's
grown, but an "organic" banana grown in Mexico and sold in Tokyo is
not organic.

> Fuel is an interesting component of freight costs in the distribution
>network. As fuel costs rise, so do consumer goods costs and that hurts
>the less economically advantaged disproportionally.

Yes it does. And they're getting hurt anyway in the food stakes, all
the way from simply not enough for about 33 million Americans, to
being too poor to afford anything but the cheapest, most toxic junk
food, no matter how much they might know better. Lots about this in
the archives too.

The fact remains that the fuel/energy cost/price in the US is
severely distorted, for very bad reasons; obviously the entire
economy is distorted as a result. You can't fix one without the
other. Fuel prices will most certainly have to be fixed - WILL be
fixed, no matter who doesn't like it. It's happening now. We've been
discussing it here for years. Since it's all rigged from on-high for
the benefit of the powers-that-be and sod the rest, said
powers-that-be are all too likely to be far too concerned about their
own suffering (about time!) bottom-lines to care much of a damn about
the plight of the mere peasantry/cannon fodder/production
units/consumer units. Cynical? Not me, but they sure are.

>My company manufactures Organic Vegetarian Foods on the West Coast of
>Calif.  Fully 5-6% of our annual budget costs go to truck freight to
>distribution. If the price of Diesel (Dino) doubles (taxes, price
>manipulation, etc) the price of our products has to rise.
>Unfortunately, due to brokers in the middle, this wholesale price rise
>of 5-6% gets whacked again by the distributors who mark up on a
>straight % basis of delivered price.
>
>Suddenly, our affordable, vegetarian, organic food becomes very
>unaffordable to the people that need and want it the most.
>The parasitic drag of the brokerage mark up also becomes unbearable.
>eg. Our delivered price goes up 6% the broker adds their mark up (30%)
>on top of the DELIVERED price. Fuel goes up, the broker makes more $$$
>for sitting on their butts.
>Short of producing on both coasts, (duplication of everything in the
>system, loss of economies of scale, etc,) How do we get good, healthy
>food to those that want/need it?

I wrote this previously:

"How much fossil-energy, in fuel, fertilizers and pesticides, would
be required to produce enough food to feed 900 million people?

"Answer: none.

"According to the FAO, no less. More than 15% of the world's food
supply is produced by city farms (in 1993, expected to grow to 33% by
2005), with virtually no inputs other than wastes (thus vastly
decreasing city sanitation problems as well), and with the use of no
farming land at all. Quite easy to apply such an approach to biofuels
production."
[more]
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=1395&list=BIOFUELS-BIZ
How much fuel can we grow?

>The same situation applies to fresh produce, even more so.
>
>If biodiesel were an option,

It is an option, and rather more than that.

>how long before the same Bastards got
>control of the sales and distribution? And charged accordingly?

We've been discussing this for a long time too. "I have a niggling
feeling that 10 years from now, the environmentalists will be
fighting the ethanol industry tooth and nail. anything can be done
badly, and I expect the ADM's of the world will be successful in
turning a clean renewable resource into a dirty unsustainable
one......" - Steve Spence. And so on.

Do a search here for "Noyes" (Graham Noyes of World Energy) and read
the whole thread:

They're the Big Guys, the NBB is backed by the Soy Councils, which
comprise mainly or very largely ADM, Cargill, Monsanto - pretty much
the same bastards, or the same sort of bastards at the very least.
See what happened to Graham (who's now World Energy's sales VP, by
the way) - he changed his tune more than somewhat, and his subsequent
attitude and indeed behaviour has changed too.

We're not too concerned. It's too late to stop us. Ed Beggs posted an
article a while back about ADM moving into biodiesel production in
the US and warned that we'd all be bulldozed, here come the big guys.
So what, quite frankly.

>I'm all for localized production where possible,

Where is local production not possible?

>but the food
>distribution system is a real challenge.

Don't distribute it further than locally. Sorry, I know you won't
like that, but that's the way it's going to be in a rational,
sustainable system, should there ever be such a thing again (and woe
betide all if there's not). Sorry again, but an organic food company
trying to accommodate itself to the existing industrialized food
supply system is not too different to an organic farmer saying "Just
a little dieldrin (RoundUp, Gramoxone, ammonia, GMO seed) won't do
any harm." Won't it hell.

>I am thinking that if a few Natural Foods companies in the area can
>co-op biodiesel production from our WVO and contract freight with a
>trucking company, we can be in a bit more control of our destiny.

Sure. But why not distribute non-local business instead to where it's local?

Anyway, you seem to be thinking mainly in cost terms here, but isn't
it just as important if not more so that that would cut the
fossil-fuels/carbon emissions component on each item you sell, and
shouldn't that be your aim? Idealistic? Sure, but not impractical,
and if you don't like idealistic then why are you doing organics and
natural foods? They're hardly "natural" anymore with a big
fossil-fuelled Food Miles fraction in the price tag.

So, yes, $4.50 a gallon? Bring it on!

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511