>Face it, ANWR is like going to the dentist. If you wait, the pain is going
>to be worse and you have to do it at the end. If US wanted to save ANWR,
>the necessary actions should have been taken 20 years ago. To develop ANWR,
>without a very comprehensive energy plan for renewable is even more stupid.
>It is like taking pain killers instead of letting the dentist fix it and at
>the end you lose your teeth.

Hakan, I tend to agree with some of your assessment here.  If we
develop ANWR but at the same time don't put in place a very wide
variety of very effective measures really to change things here in the
US, then what's the point?  To me, this doesn't just mean "coal" or
"LNG" or "nuclear".  It means opening the floor to any and all
solutions and trying them all, without the pork, and assuming that
some won't work as well as we'd like, but that we have to try them
all.

My objection to ANWR has generally been, first and foremost, that it's
never been proposed in anything but the most shallow of ways, without
regard for what to do to make such a thing not necessary in the
future, without regard for the political pork that is thrown in with
it, etc.  If the proponents of ANWR really wanted us to listen, why
have they made so little effort?  Why have they not addressed any of
our concerns?  Why have they included such massive tax breaks for the
fossil fuelers (when supposedly oil is popular because it costs
"less")?  I keep wondering if they really do want to drill in ANWR.

Discussions of alternatives should include Battery Electric Vehicles,
which I haven't heard a single national politician so much as
*mention* in years, and of course biofuels.  They are not be-all
end-all solutions, but they could help a bit.  Discussions should
include conservation thinking, public transportation, changes to tax
structures to stop discouraging alt-fuels, standardization of
reasonable rules to allow home-brewers to make and distribute some
fuel, nationwide continued improvement of net-metering and other Dist
Energy issues, etc. etc. etc. etc.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM