Yay Daimler Chrysler!

 >From the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/money/autoreviews/phelan8_20030508.htm

MARK PHELAN: The 2005 Jeep Liberty diesel packs an admirably quiet punch
BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

May 8, 2003

BERLIN -- I figured out why Germans love diesel engines when I pulled out
to pass a V8 BMW 740i on the autobahn in a four-cylinder Jeep Liberty
diesel.

Press the accelerator, watch the speedometer move smoothly from 70 m.p.h.
to just over 100 m.p.h., then watch the 7-series recede in the rearview
mirror.

A Liberty with what promises to be a more powerful and sophisticated
diesel engine will go on sale in the United States next year as a 2005
model.

The 2.8-liter 4-cylinder diesel Liberty I drove may only produce 148
horsepower, but it packs 266 pound-feet of torque -- nearly as much as the
acclaimed 4.2-liter six-cylinder that powers the considerably heavier
Chevrolet Trailblazer -- and torque is the number that matters for
acceleration and towing.

Even more impressive, the Liberty generates that torque at engine speeds
as low as 2,000 r.p.m., making the power available in regular driving, not
just during heavy acceleration.

Germans cherish their right to drive fast with an ardor Americans usually
reserve for things like freedom of speech, and the Mercedes-built diesel
under the Liberty's hood is the equivalent of a megaphone.

Germans also cherish quaint concepts like paid maternity leave and
functioning mass transit, and their sky-high fuel prices reflect the taxes
that finance such public goods. A liter -- just over a quart -- of
gasoline cost 1.129 euros -- about $1.23 -- at the service station where I
topped off the Liberty. That works out to $4.66 a gallon. Diesel cost
0.899 euros a liter, about 98 cents, a 20 percent savings. The Liberty's
$38,586 price also includes substantial German taxes.

Diesels generally consume about 30 percent less fuel than a comparable
gasoline engine.

Thanks to recent technical advances, the Liberty is much quieter and
cleaner than the rattling smokestacks many Americans associate with diesel
engines. It idled at a rock solid 900 r.p.m. -- steady enough for me to
stand a two-euro coin on edge on the engine cover -- and I never saw a
puff of smoke from the tailpipe in more than a week of driving.

The engine still had the distinctive diesel rattle, but muted enough to be
imperceptible in the passenger compartment. Suppliers say the diesel due
for sale in the United States next year will be quieter still.

Fuel economy may not sell in America, but power does, and if the 2005
Liberty diesel builds on the current model's strengths, it should be a
very pleasant surprise for buyers in the States.

Contact MARK PHELAN at 313-222-6731 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM