Hi Mark,

I agree with you on using electric hot water tanks. I've got an 80 gallon
electric tank I'm going to use as my wash
tank.

We did one batch using NaOH mixing with the chem mixer tank. At the time, we
didn't have a system for slowly dropping
in the catalyst. So we quickly popped  the top off and just dumped the whole
load of NaOH into the methanol, trying to
minimize our exposure to the fumes. Not good! The pump started to groan and
shutter quite a bit. This action didn't
seem to do any permanent damage to the pump. Eventually the NaOH did dissolve.
There was quite a large clump sitting
on the bottom for awhile. We have now devised a system made from an 18 inch
length of 4 inch PVC pipe with a screw cap
on top. The bottom is reduced down to 2 inch, where I cut a slot into the pipe.
Into the slot I fitted a flat piece of
rigid plastic where I can slide it in and out, thereby controlling the flow of
catalyst. The bottom of the 2 inch PVC
has a male PVC pipe fitting which fits into a PVC female coupling epoxied into
the lid. After filling the mix tank
with the proper amount of methanol, and putting in the measured amount of
catalyst into the feeder pipe contraption, I
thread out the plug in the female coupling and thread in the PVC catalyst
contraption. I then slowly pull out the
slide until I can hear the KOH dropping into the methanol. Works very well. I
believe this type of system would work
just as well with NaOH as with KOH, just taking a little more mixing time, and
maybe dropping in less at a time.
Another possibility for a valve of sorts I've seen available in Ag supply
catalogs that would work for slowly feeding
the catalyst is a type of plastic slider valve/gate valve, although it's more
expensive.

The the size of these chem mix tanks are in between a 30 gallon and a 55 gallon
drum. Flat bottoms, with a drain in
the center. The tops have rolled stainless steel edges, just like 55 gallon
drum with the removable lids. The pumps
are bolted directly under the drain area. We've modified the pumps a bit to
allow us to take fluid from outside the
tank, into the pumps, and pump directly out to another tank, without filling
the tank these pumps are attached to.

These tanks were built in the '70's. Parts, so far, are impossible to get from
the company. The company (can't think
of the name) is one of the many Japanese manufacturers making the high tech one
hour photo finishing systems. I
suppose these were designed for a large? photo lab, mixing up batches of their
photo chemicals.

Best regards,
Chris

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511