On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:56:22 -0400, you wrote:

>Actually, I think that Prius approach - basically replacing starter with a
>full-blown
>electrical motor is a most feasible one. Then  ethanol or biodiesel can be
>used
>as a fuel.
>Alex

I like the Prius very much.  Further, I do not pretend to be able to
say what is the "best" alt-fuel vehicle.  It's fine by me if someone
wants to say that a biodiesel, or some other alt-fuel approach, is
better than an EV.  I may agree on some points.

What bugs me is the non-businesslike way the auto companies are
handling production of EVs and customer demand for EVs.  This
unbelievable crushing of good vehicles, the turning-away from demand
despite the existence of waiting lists (albeit modest-sized ones), the
confiscation of leased vehicles when the lease is up despite generous
offers of cash by leasors who want to keep the cars, ...  something is
wrong with the system, in my view.  So, I'm trying to discern what's
wrong with the system.

The "what is a good car" question is, to me, somewhat separate.

But I absolutely agree, the Prius is a fine high-mileage innovative
car, a good first and second effort, and now they are even adding
EV-only mode to the newest ones, something that was a bit unexpected.
The EV-only mode will only operate reportedly for a few meters (or
hundreds of meters?) but is a start.  Next you'd need
grid-chargeability and a massively expanded battery pack to make any
sort of real grid-chargeable hybrid.  But, sure, kudos do go to Toyota
for this car.

And criticism goes to Toyota for their destruction of RAV4 EVs (at
least we've heard they're crushing EVs or planning to from one or two
people), and their blowing-off of demand for RAV4 EVs.  If they get
kudos for doing something right, they still get criticism for their
needless blowing-off of some customers.

Doesn't Toyota have some sort of saying or corporate statement about
the importance of Customer Satisfaction?  I believe they say that
"Customer Satisfaction Is Our Highest Priority".

I've spoken to a small handful of people who are *not* satisfied
Toyota customers.  Toyota has managed to keep this number small
because only a small handful (a few hundred or thousand) have ever
owned or leased a RAV4 EV, or considered it.  They were only offered
to the general public at about 25 dealers in maybe one state.

They're often satisfied with the car, if they manage to get one, but
they're not very satisfied that it's being discontinued, or that other
folks, who want them, can't get them, or that they tried but couldn't
get one because they sold out.  In particular, if they were
wait-listed, they're not too happy to hear that Toyota refuses to make
more and might be crushing good ones that come off-lease from other
customers, instead of re-selling or leasing them to those who are on
wait-lists.

The other day one or two new ones came up for sale unexpectedly in the
LA area.  At a little more than $30k (after adjusting downward from
$42.5k or so using various incentives) they're not cheap, but these
vehicles for which Toyota seems to claim there is insufficient demand
to warrant further production were gone within a day or two.  The
dealer was able to go through his waiting list and find homes for them
pretty easily.  They're reportedly the last that will ever come up at
the retail level, unless something changes.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM