> john koning wrote:
> called "The motor oil Bible" Cost about $10.00 to down load but will
> answer all your questions????
> True synthetics base stock is  made of PAO's (Polyalphaolefins) there
> are other base stocks, some of the advise you were given by other people
> are true, but to make a educated choice read this book.
>
> Fryerman2000.
> P.S  Amsoil is a good product have used it for twenty years check out there
> web site also.

 I did some reading awhile back and have a few links some
 might find interesting but first to add to John's reply
 this site mentioned --

 Snake Oil!  Is That Additive Really A Negative?
  Article by Fred Rau
  ROAD RIDER/August 1992  Pg 15

http://web.archive.org/web/20010405130858/http://www.geocities.com/chrislonghurst/snakeoil.html

    Synthetic oils were originally developed for use in gas turbine engines.
    In most cases they are capable of maintaining their viscosity for longer
    periods of use and under much greater temperatures and pressures than
    petroleum products.  Commons synthetics used for engine lubrication today
    are Polyalphaolefin (like Mobil 1) or Dibasic Organic Esters (like AMSOIL).
    They are fully compatible with conventional oils and can be mixed,
    providing their ratings match.

 Engine Oils and what you need to know
  http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil_bible.html

   Pure synthetic oils (polyalkyleneglycol) are the types used almost
   exclusively within the industrial sector in polyglycol gearbox oils for
   heavily loaded gearboxes.  These are typically concocted by intelligent
   blokes in white lab coats.  These chaps break apart the molecules that
   make up a variety of substances, like vegetable and animal oils, and
   then recombine the individual atoms that make up those molecules to
   build new, synthetic molecules.  This process allows the chemists to
   actually "fine tune" the molecules as they build them.  Clever stuff.
   But Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.

   While we're on synthetic oils, I should mention Amsoil.  I originally
   had them down as an additive.  I was wrong.  I've got to say I've had
   no experience of the product myself so I can't vent my spleen about it.
   However, there is a particularly good page with a ton of info about it here.

http://www.searchforparts.com/important_articles/amsoil_testing_with_taxi_cabs.html

   I recommend you pop over and read this and see what you think.
   I've been contacted by Amsoil themselves and asked to point out the
following:
   Amsoil do NOT produce or market oil additives and do not wish to be
associated with
   oil additives.  They are a formulator of synthetic lubricants for automotive
and
   industrial applications and have been in business for 30+ years.  They are
not a
   half-hour infomercial or fly-by-night product, nor have they ever been
involved in
   a legal suit regarding their product claims in that 30+ year span.  Many
Amsoil
   products are API certified, and ALL of our products meet and in most cases
exceed
   the specifications of ILSAC, AGMA etc.....
   Their lubricants also exceed manufacturers specifications and Amsoil are on
many
   manufacturers approval lists.  They base their claims on ASTM certified
tests and
   are very open to anyone, with nothing to hide.

   It turns out that Amsoil actually have the stance that they recommend engine
oil
   additives are NOT to be used with their products.  This will become relevant
later
   on this page, and in the additives section.  They have a pretty good FAQ on
the
   Amsoil website, which you can find here.
http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm

 More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Motor Oil
  by Ed Hackett

http://web.archive.org/web/20020601134519/http://rconcepts.com/beard/dragnet/drag/oilinfo.html

 Making Sense of Synthetic Lubricants
  By: Don Stevens

http://web.archive.org/web/20010204094200/http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/synth.html
  In becoming an Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants dealer in 1998 I have done....

 And a summation including a couple of the sites above --

 Wild Rose Miata Club
  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
 http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rbhutson/miata/arc_2001/musings_v7-02.htm

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20.
Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM