http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&ncid=585&e=4&u=/nm/20030
921/sc_nm/environment_kyoto_dc

excerpt:
> TORONTO (Reuters) - European countries could help meet their Kyoto
emissions
> requirements by using forestry waste products like left-over tree stumps
and foliage
> to produce energy, scientists said on Sunday.

> Stumps, branches, tree tops and other foliage left in forests by logging
firms release
> carbon dioxide over time as they decompose. Using the material as fuel to
produce
> electricity, or processing them into pulp and paper, could cut down on
greenhouse
> gas emissions, the scientists said in a report released before a World
Forestry Congress
> meeting in Quebec City.

The major problem with this from my perspective (forested land in northern
Minnesota, USA) is erosion. If you're going to take the trees for lumber, at
least leave the stumps and roots to hold the soil together while the next
crop of trees grows. My mother's land will have a new growth of young aspens
in 5 or so years after being harvested last year. Without the stumps, the
soil will be drastically reduced in quality well before then because of wind
and water erosion, and this is basically flat land.

Pete

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20.
Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM