  From: girl_mark_fire [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 4:28 PM
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: [biofuel] Re: Biodiesel Processor Pumps

  I've used with good success with several processors,  a cheap ($35)
  pump sold by Northern Tool and Harbor Freight Tool, called '1" Clear
  Water Pump". We just built a processor this weekend similar to Dale
  Scroggin's 'touchless' (out of a water heater tank) but haven't used
  it yet (actually it was supposed to have it's test run yesterday but
  we're on a generator at the site- and the generator had a plugged fuel
  filter due to bad petrodiesel a while back! so we had no power to heat
  with yesterday. talk about frustration). We built this system in a
  class I'm teaching and it was a good opportunity to teach all kinds of
  basic skills stuff- and very quick to assemble.

  The processor we built took about 1 1/2 hours to construct, and about
  three trips to stores (including harbor Freight) to buy everything. I
  have a salvaged vacuum pump but we didn't install that yet mostly as
  I"m having trouble finding appropriate fittings to build the condensor
  (like dale's condensor).
  For a good writeup of the type of condensor that dale seems to be
  using, see the recent Home Power magazine article on homemade
  counterflow heat exchangers (might be in current issue). that heat
  exchanger is copper- so technically not suitable for rrunning
  biodiesel through (copper catalises breakdown of biodiesel in the long
  term), but fine for methanol recovery.

  Like all my small processors, we're using HDPE carboys to mix
  methoxide in- using 'methoxide the easy way' system from
  journeytoforever. The carboys have an extra set of threads in the lid
  that allows a hose barb to be screwed in, which lets them  be plumbed
  in line with the pump which allows a very good mix if you meter in the
  methoxide slowly (there's gravity feed involved, so they are set up on
  a shelf above the pump level). (this info is all based on other
  designs I'm already using, not just the newest one we just built)

  I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new from this project. Please
  note that Dale quickly gave up on trying to wash in the same tank as
  he processed in- for good reasons. Use a separate wash tank. Mine are
  made out of barrels.

  mark

  --- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "rodneyhadley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  wrote:
  > I am a Science teacher in Kansas City. I have my classes
  > currently investigating constructing a Biodiesel Processor. I would
  > like to use a recirculation pump as a mixer, using a hot water
  > heater as the processing tank. In Ian's vacuum biodiesel processor
  > what type of pumps did he use for mixing or what type of pump would
  > work best? I am unsure of what pump would work best if any, due to
  > the high viscosity of oil. And what size vacuum pump was used for
  > recycling the me

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511