Thanks Paul,

Now you also understand why I was so interested in sound measurement and
definitions. I spent so much time an this kind of issues, that it is
difficult to restrain myself. If I only wanted to earn some extra money, I
would first take acoustic consultant jobs and then energy simulations in
buildings, especially in Spain. Energy is however the real tricky problem
and we want to contribute by sharing our knowledge in the field of energy
use, we owe that to future generations.

I am new in studying the small wind turbine market, but have a funny
feeling that I lived through a few market developments like this in the IT
field. Hornet is very interesting as a market phenomena, even if it is not
really interesting as a product and the company behind it is probably not
able to grab their window of opportunity. I started to write a piece about
this, since it is a great opportunity for someone or several to build good
businesses. In this kind of situations it is great to start from scratch or
take a fresh position, since the existing suppliers already have too much
baggage and often attitudes that make them vulnerable.

5-6 years ago we bought a plot of land and started to prepare it, we later
sold it, since we at the end did not want to move. To clear the land, I
needed one of those small 2 kW, 220V 50Hz gasoline generators and it cost
less than $350. Gasoline engine, regulation and generator mounted in an
open cage. I know that it is not comparable and the market for them is
larger than for wind turbines, because everybody can afford to get it for
his power tool. I think that the market for small turbines is growing fast
and it is not very many pieces to have to fall in place, for it to be a
mass market for 0.5 to 1.5 kW wind turbines. Good products, very good price
and a good business model will give that opportunity to grow from small to
big. In 5-10 years time you will see the big companies, like the white
product sector, enter the game with grid tied small and cheap wind
turbines/solar cell household systems. The owner of the grid and
distribution will make a bundle and we will see a large step towards a more
sustainable electricity delivery. I would keep an eye on what is happening
in Germany, because the already adapted the necessary philosophies and
regulation for this.

This is what I want to write about on wind/solar energy and also the
opportunities it gives the developing world, together with biofuels. It is
also therefore I wanted some hands on experiences to write about. I have to
learn more and I still have some Bruel & Kjaer equipment that maybe still
works for sound measurement.

Hakan

At 03:21 PM 10/9/2003, you wrote:

>great post hakan. that's the kind of info we need to know, especially your
>emphasis on energy efficiency. that's the key to building sustainably.
>
>good luck in espana. try one of bornay's smaller turbines. they should be
>appropriate for a small test site. there's a test site northwest of madrid
>you might want to visit.
>
>paul
>Paul Gipe
>208 S. Green St., #5
>Tehachapi CA 93561-1741 USA
>+661 822 9150
>+661 822 8452 fax
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>www.wind-works.org
>Wind Power for Home, Farm, & Business (forthcoming January, 2004)

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM