Great letter, should use a spell checker though.  Thanks  Chuck
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: girl Mark
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 9:24 PM
  Subject: [biofuel] Mark's letter to the CDFA

  The CDFA/DMS public comment period deadline (about the
  biodiesel-negative warning labeling)is tomorrow,
  though they will read anything they get by mail till
  the 20th (send in letters...)

  Here's my longwinded rebuttal to some of their
  concerns about biodiesel standards.

  Mark

  Dear sirs,
  My name is Maria Alovert and I am a biodiesel user and
  an auto mechanic. I spend a lot of my time
  volunteering in programs which educate consumers of
  B100 about the differences between petroleum diesel
  and biodiesel, and as a mechanic, have advised
  consumers on proper use of B100 and associated issues.
  I have in the past spent some time lobbying NAFT Gas
  in Fairfax to carry B100, and agree with the CDFA/DMS
  that good labeling will avert unexpected problems for
  consumers.

    However, I do not believe that the labeling as
  currently proposed will meet this need without causing
  the biodiesel industry and retailers serious damage in
  the rate of public acceptance. I believe that this is
  the opposite of what the CDFA proposals intend. I urge
  that these proposals be put to a new round of public
  input and study.

  I have studied the ASTM standards for petroleum diesel
  and for B100 extensively, and am concerned that
  requiring the D-975 standard for biodiesel blends is
  an unnecessary requirement that is impossible to meet.
  I believe this will have the effect of discouraging
  biodiesel use and more particularly of discouraging
  biodiesel retailing, which will set a large barrier to
  public acceptance.

  It has been brought to my attention that some of
  these changes came about as a result of commentary by
  Chevron Products Company. I have copied parts of their
  testimony below and wish to offer a rebuttal to some
  of their concerns:

  Quote:
  CHEVRON PRODUCTS COMPANY'S COMMENTS ON DFA'S PROPOSED
  AMENDED REGULATIONS CONTAINED IN TITLE 4, DIVISION 9,
  ARTICLE 5

  Chevron Products Company (Chevron) is in agreement
  with the changes proposed for Sections 4140, 4145 and
  4146.  Our remaining comments are confined to the
  sections dealing with "biodiesel fuel".

  Section 4147 (a):  This statement suggests that
  biodiesel as a 100% pure fuel is okay if it meets ASTM
  D 6751. The title of ASTM D 6751 has the words "Blend
  Stock". This specification is intended to give the
  requirements for biodiesel as a blend component in a
  final blend meeting ASTM D 975. The specification does
  not give ASTM approval for the 100% biodiesel as a
  diesel fuel (nor does it disapprove). Pure biodiesel
  does not meet ASTM D 975, which is the requirement for
  diesel fuels in ASTM. So this statement appears to be
  inconsistent with ASTM's intent and with Section 4147
  (b).
  End quote

  The ASTM D-6751 specification never states at which
  percentage blend, a blend of biodiesel and petroleum
  diesel becomes problematic due to not meeting D-975.
  By inference, it would seem that a blend of 99%
  biodiesel and 1% petroleum diesel meets the intent of
  ASTM in offering a specification for B100 as
  blendstock, or ASTM would have indicated at which
  blend level the specification no longer applies.
  Additionaly, the ASTM D-6751 is similar to the
  European specifications, and there has been longterm
  B100 use in some countries in the EU which has not led
  to the problems that Chevron may be concerned about.

  It is also the interpretation of the EPA and of the
  biodiesel industry, as well as some vehicle
  manufacturers, that ASTM D-6751 biodiesel fuel is a
  satisfactory on-road motor fuel up to B100.

  The ASTM standards are decided in a lengthy process of
  study which takes many years to complete. I trust that
  the ASTM committee did not find anything objectionable
  in high-level blends up to B100, or else this
  information would have been included in the carefully
  written ASTM D-6751 standard.
  I am concerned that the CDFA may in effect overturn
  the decisions of the ASTM standards committee by
  requiring that biodiesel blends meet ASTM D-975, with
  only minimum public comment period lasting a few
  weeks. I am deeply concerned that this may affect
  biodiesel acceptance and affect the biodiesel industry
  in California, and I am further concerned that these
  state standards may be adopted by other states which
  follow California's regulations.

  It is physically impossible for biodiesel to meet
  D-975 because D-975 describes a chemically different
  fuel than biodiesel does.  If astm D-7651 B100 is
  satisfactory as a blendstock, and petroleum diesel
  fuel ASTM D-975 is satisfactory as a blendstock, I am
  concerned that one specification should be made to
  override the other in our state requirements without
  sufficient study to warrant this.

  There are in fact many advantages to fuels which meet
  D-6751, over those of D-975: cetane is always higher
  in B100, and flash point is lower, which translates to
  safer handling of biodiesel than of more flammable
  petroleum diesel. Biodiesel rarely fails the copper
  strip corrosion test, which cant be said for D-975. In
  addition, lubricity, which is not specified in either
  standard, is far higher for biodiesel than for
  petroleum diesel, as tested by SLBOCLE (ASTMN D
  6078-99) and the HFRR (ASTM D-6079099) tests.
  Lubricity is proven to be a cause of fuel system
  failure, and biodiesel blends are specifically
  utilised to improve a petroleum diesel's petformance
  on the above tests.

  One concern which is expressed by the Chevron
  commentary is referenced below, concerning viscosity:

  Quote:
  Section 4148:  Chevron does not believe that such
  labeling sufficiently protects the general public.
  B100 is not in our opinion a "fill and go" substitute
  for petroleum diesel fuel. First of all it does not
  meet ASTM D 975. One aspect of that is that it has
  higher viscosity, which can affect injector operation
  and cause fouling and that can adversely affect power
  and mileage.
  End quote

  This is not, in practice, a major concern. The D-975
  standard specifies viscosity of petroleum diesel fuel
  at a certain temperature.  So does the kinematic
  viscosity test ASTM 445 for biodiesel. The two
  viscosities do not differ greatly enough to affect
  performance or fuel system at these temperatures.
  I presume that the concern above is with what happens
  to biodiesel in fuel systems at the lower temperatures
  at which it is still operable (liquid).

  The reality is that engine manufacturers do NOT
  produce fuel systems to handle only fuels at these
  temperatures, or produce fuel systems that only work
  in summertime operation. It has been shown that
  petroleum diesel, even that meeting D-975 standards,
  has a greatly reduced viscosity at lower temperatures,
  just as biodiesel does. However biodiesel stops being
  usable at a higher temperature than petroleum diesel,
  while it is well within the acceptable viscosity range
  at which petroleum fuels are considered acceptable in
  winter use.

  The effect this has on the above concern is as
  follows:
  The viscosity of petroleum diesel at it's lower end of
  operating range (ie 20F for instance) is very similar
  to that of biodiesel at the lower end of operating
  range (closer to 32F). Viscosity at biodiesel's higher
  operating temperatures falls well within the
  acceptable range of petroleum fuels. Long experience
  has shown that diesel fuel systems do not fail due to
  the poor viscosity of petroleum diesel in winter. The
  same logic can be applied to the viscosity of
  biodiesel at it's lower operating temperatures.

  Another concern from Chevron's commentary is quoted
  below:
  Quote:
  B100 is not in our opinion a "fill and go" substitute
  for petroleum diesel fuel. First of all it does not
  meet ASTM D 975. One aspect of that is that it has
  higher viscosity, which can affect injector operation
  and cause fouling and that can adversely affect power
  and mileage.
  End Quote

  Rebuttal:
  I do not believe that lower mileage and power has been
  effectively demonstrated as a result of viscosity,
  otherwise it would be seen in petroleum diesel in
  wintertime as well, which it is not. Biodiesel made to
  ASTM D-6751 standards cleans injectors and fuel
  systems, rather than fouls them. Biodiesel does have
  slightly lowered fuel economy for different reasons,
  yet consumers are usually made aware of this, it is
  not due to biodiese not meeting D-975, and it is not
  reason to call B100 'not a fill and go' fuel.

  Quote, again:
  Secondly, we feel it requires more careful handling.
  For example, it tends to clean out diesel systems when
  first used which can cause filter plugging; it is more
  bioactive than petroleum diesel and thus more
  susceptible to biogrowth and tends to have shorter
  storage life. In our opinion, B100 should be
  restricted to owners that are knowledgeable, capable
  and prepared to deal with these issues. (Also,
  comments to Section 4149 apply here.)

  End quote

  Rebuttal:
  All of us who handle B100 and do B100 education, are
  aware that consumers need to be educated on the
  solvency and microbial attack. In reality, though,
  solvency is one area in which consumers have been made
  aware of the differences between B100 and petroleum
  diesel. Proper, non-alarmist labeling will accomplish
  this. 'Restricting' use of B100 is not the proper
  approach, good labeling is. I believe that you have
  recently received a lot of commentary from the general
  public which offers alternatives to the "Caution:"
  statement. Again, I urge the CDFA to put this matter
  to a new round of public input before proceeding with
  new labeling and requirements.

  Quote:
  Section 4149:  Chevron does not believe that such
  labeling sufficiently protects the general public if
  the blend is over 5% biodiesel. While some have, many
  OEM's have not endorsed biodiesel contents over 5%.
  Use of diesel with higher than 5% biodiesel could
  compromise the warranty with some engine
  manufacturers. Biodiesel has a tendency to swell
  materials that can be used in the seals and o-rings of
  the fuel system in vehicles. It is our understanding
  that the high pressure fuel pump- injector systems on
  new diesel engines is a significant part of the cost
  of the engine.
  End quote

  I do now know of any instances of fuel injector pump
  failure as a result of B100 use or that of blends
  lower than B100. Most commonly, fuel lines in older
  vehicles sometimes leak. This is well known among
  consumers and does not require the cautionary label,
  only a more moderate wording. Chevron's argument that
  biodiesel could cause a fuel pump replacement is not
  backed up by fact or experience, either in the US with
  ASTM D-6751 fuel or in Europe with it's more extensive
  B100 experience. Once again, if this was the type of
  information that the CDFA decision was based on, I
  believe that we need a new round of public input and
  workshops to determine labeling and regulations
  satisfactory to all.

  Respectfully, Maria Alovert

  http://shopping.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor