Hi Pieter

>Hi Keith,
>I don't know for sure whether it is FFA's or something else ( BD ? ), but
>the color is black and the BD is goldish, so I think it must be FFA's.

But the proportions are really all wrong. Still, it probably is FFA,
but that you can't get it to separate more than that, with only so
little FFA and no separation of the glycerine and catalyst, indicates
that something else is wrong. Your conclusion that the by-product is
almost 100% glycerine can't be right, your previous expectations (at
least half) should be about right.

> > How do you know it's FFAs? The glycerine layer can continue to "leak"
> > small amounts of biodiesel for some time after the process.
> >
> > >I expected at least half of the lot being FFA's, so I have been looking
>for
> > >the separation at about 50% of the volume. I don't find any NaOH at the
> > >bottom.
> > >My conclusion is, that the bottomlayer of the BD process is almost 100%
> > >glycerine.
> >
> > I'm afraid I'm left wondering quite what the top layer might be,
> > considering what follows.
> >
> > >I use 3.5 grams of lye and 150 ml methanol in the process and do not
> > >titrate.
> >
> > Not enough lye for WVO and 25ml excess methanol (12.5% stoich for
> > soy) is unlikely to be enough, especially at such low temps for only
> > three hours.
> >
> > >The mixing takes two or three hours, just to make sure that the whole
> > >reaction has taken place.
> >
> > Hm.
> >
> > >Temperature is 15¡ C or a bit more.
> >
> > 40 more would be better.
> >
> > >The oil I use is WVO ( soya ), which has been used for one or two days
> >
> > That doesn't mean much Pieter, it could be lightly used or very
> > heavily used. Used for how many hours, at what temperature?
> >
>The oil has been used for about 20 hours all together at 140¡ C.

In which case the basic 3.5 gm/litre of lye is definitely not enough.
You should try titrating it, it's not very difficult and it would
tell you a lot. Lots of info on titration here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
Start here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodwvo
Then see:
Basic titration
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#titrate
Better titration
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#bettertitrate

Do you test the WVO for water content, by the way? Put a litre in a
saucepan and heat it on a stove; stir it and monitor the temperature;
if it starts crackling and emitting little streams of bubbles from
the bottom at about 50-55 deg C it should be dewatered. If not, no
problem.

> > >bake fish in.
> >
> > So it also has some fish oil in it.
> >
> > >After processing, I let it stand for a week or more.
> >
> > Before separating the biodiesel from the glycerin layer? Or do you
> > remove the glycerine layer first? What proportion of the total is the
> > glycerine layer? Is it usually solid or liquid? What colour?
> >
>I don't separate BD and glycerin layer. I just siphon ( is that the right
>word ? )

The right word, and the right technique too - when you drain from the
bottom the biodiesel gets drained past any residual by-product still
adhering to the lower walls and bottom and can reabsorb it. It will
settle to the bottom again, but siphoning from the top is best.

>the BD from the top of the lot, every time I need some BD, untill I
>reach the bottom.

I think you may have said so before, but how long does that take? How
often do you make biodiesel, and what size batches? Settling it for a
long time definitely helps.

>The glycerin layer is about 15% of the total volume.

I think that's about right for quite clean oil using more methanol
than you do. In your case it might be too little. Titration would
help to confirm that.

>Not
>really solid and not liquid. Somewhere inbetween solid and liquid.
>The color
>is black. After treating it whith phosphoric acid, the color turns a little
>bit lighter. The color of the top layer is black.
> > >I don't wash the BD (
> > >not that I recommend this way of working, but in my case it works OK ).
> > >The pH of the BD is just over 7.
> >
> > Have you ever tried washing your biodiesel? I'd be interested to know
> > what happens. Will you try this? Put 150 ml of your biodiesel in a
> > half-litre glass jar, add 150 ml of water (preferably distilled water
> > if you have it, or just tap water if not), screw the lid on tight,
> > and shake it up and down violently for 10 seconds or more. Tell us
> > what happens next.
>
>Surprised about what happened : 3 layers. The top layer must be BD ( same
>color as it always is ), and than a rather thick layer of white flaky stuf,
>and a layer of troubled water. pH of the BD layer is still just over 7 (
>measured with litmus paper ).

I don't get any sense out of litmus paper, but other people do. How
is it graded? 6-7-8 etc, or half-measures too?

Try measuring the pH of the water at the bottom.

How long did it take to separate into the three layers? Is the top
(BD) layer clear or misty? What are the proportions of each layer?

Anyway, I'd say you now have a visible measure of the extent to which
the whole reaction has taken place, or perhaps hasn't. That white
layer should be at most very thin, hardly more than a slick. Take
heart though, it could be much worse: at least it separated. In a bad
case it would have turned to mayonaisse and not separated at all.

Why don't you try washing some biodiesel, Pieter? A litre or so. Do
you have an aquarium air pump with an air-stone, or can you borrow
one? Details here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html
Bubble washing

It might destroy the air-stone (especially the blue ones) but they're
cheap to replace. Don't try using acid in the wash for now - not that
it's necessarily a bad thing as some allege, but one step at a time
means less confusing results.

It might also start frothing and "boil over", so keep an eye on it at
first, to avoid making a mess. If that happens, stop, and tell us
about it. If it goes well, follow the directions, measure the pH of
the wash water after each wash, do three washes or until the wash
water is neutral and clear.

You can use 2-litre PET bottles for this, the kind you buy bottled
water in. You need two. Cut the top off just below the lid so you can
get the airstone in. Pierce a small hole (2mm) in the bottom at the
edge at a corner, make sure the plastic is clean and dry, and stick a
square of duct tape over the hole, pressing it down tightly. Pour in
1 litre of biodiesel, carefully pour in half a litre of water, add
the air-stone, and bubble away. Stand it in a saucepan or something
in case it leaks or froths over. After maybe 4 hours (maybe less for
the first wash), switch off the bubbler, let the water settle to the
bottom. Hold the bottle over the sink, carefully pull off the duct
tape and drain off the water; when it reaches the biodiesel, put your
finger over the hole. Pour the biodiesel into the second bottle,
prepared in the same way, continue with the second wash. Meanwhile
wash the first bottle, cover the hole with new duct tape, and use it
for the third wash.

I'm not trying to push you into washing your biodiesel as a standard
practice (though we do strongly recommend that), these are just tests
to find out more about your product and the problems you're having
separating the by-product. I won't try to push you into using a more
standard practice either. I'd hope that you could achieve worthwhile
improvements in the product by making some small adjustments rather
than major changes to your way of doing it. Other people using
different oils and in different circumstances might not get it to
work so well, but that's not your problem, and you didn't recommend
it.

Beste wense

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511