Could the glycerin be neutralized and put in to SVO for diesels?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 11:24 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] more on glycerine

An alternative use for crude glycerin leads me to a premature and very
tentative report: Addition of dimethyl sulfate to a mixture of the crude
strongly alkaline glycerin, affords 1,2,3-trimethoxy propane.  It is
possible that this product could be used as an oxygenated additive to
gasoline to reduce undesired emissions  and increase octane ratings. I
and an undergrad are working on this project.

  This does not however seem to be something for home brewers due to the
considerable risks associated with the handling of dimethyl sulfate (you
really should do this only in a hood)

Don't even ask if it is cost effective or practical, I first want to get
the reaction to work in decent yield, then look at the other factors.

and a happy halloween to all.  We have about half dozen science faculty
showing up today in costume.

Bob Allen, Professor of Chemistry  http://ozarker.org/bob
<http://ozarker.org/bob>
The modern conservative is engaged in one of Man's oldest exercises
in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral
justification for selfishness  JKG

---

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
69:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=879939894>

<http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html>

<http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?list=biofuel>