I've got a bunch of back channel communications with the Unisea
folks on the polymerisation issue, and current progress. Will keep
all updated. None of this is ready for backyarders, until
someone "breaks the code". I will be posting all the info I scrape
up in order to help anyone who wants to try it.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Steve
>
> >Use Fish Oil or Algae for making Biodiesel. Read how the US Navy
> >will be producing their own biodiesel. Get the scoop on a variety
of
> >biofuel technologies. Check out
> >http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm
>
> We recently discussed using fish oil for biodiesel, and the pdf
file
> on UniSea's project in Alaska was mentioned then:
> http://www.aidea.org/Unisea.pdf
>
> Discussion here:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=29516&list=BIOFUEL
>
> "The assessment of any impacts on the engines' operability and
> maintainability will not be completed until after test operations
> conclude in October 2002. Results to date have been very
encouraging,
> however, with no apparent adverse effects on the engines."
>
> More than a year ago, and nothing since.
>
> Fish oil has a high iodine value - sardine oil: 185, that's higher
> than linseed or tung oil. That means it's a drying oil, it
> polymerises: "the oil irreversibly polymerises into a plastic-like
> solid". Biodiesel made from fish oil will also polymerise. See:
> Iodine Values -- High Iodine Values
> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#iodine
>
> So maybe they use it quickly, before it dries. I didn't find
anything
> in that UniSea file about iodine values, drying, or polymerization.
>
> I think, Steve, if you're going to encourage people to make
biodiesel
> from fish oil, it needs a warning that it might polymerize.
>
> There's also been previous list discussion of UniSea and their
> project, lots of info here, with discussion on fish fat etc.:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?
view=12829&list=biofuel&related=1

> Biodiesel from algae is not a ready-to-use technology, certainly
not
> for backyarders, it needs more work for that. List members have
> investigated it, run up against problems for practical
application,

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511