Actually it kind of makes sense,  If you run 120 volts through a light bulb
made for a 130 volts, they are dimmer and cooler than a 120 volt light bulb of
the same wattage, despite the fact that you are using the same amount of
electricity.   It would make sense then if you are running a 120 volts, through
a 240 volt heating element, then it is going to take more electricity to
produce the same amount of heat.    Heating elements are designed to give off X
amount of heat with Y volts, if you have to much voltage, you run the risk of
melting the element, with to little, it does not heat as much, I would be
willing to bet, the amount of heat is less on a per volt or watt basis than if
it was used at it's proper voltage.

This would be easy to show if it is true or not, with two pieces of nichrome
wire of major different thickness, all you would have to do is measure how long
it would take to raise the temp of a given amount of water a given number of
degrees, for given voltages.  If the thicker wire takes longer with the lower
voltage, then it would show an inefficiency.

I'm thinking that it would take longer to heat the water, and that entire time
the water would be loosing heat to the outside, in a way it would mean applying
more heat to raise the temp the same amount.   This is the basics of melting
metal, you apply the heat faster than it can be gotten rid of, so it melts.  In
theory, with a perfect insulator, you could melt metal with the heat of a
candle ( an extremely large candle, I'll grant you ), because the metal would
not be able to get rid of the heat.

Greg H.