Thankyou Walt!

Thanks too for pointing out the downside of chlorination. ITo go back
to what Hakan was saying about the Netherlands, of all the cities
I've lived in (many!) Amsterdam is the only one I can think of where
I didn't regularly get a strong whiff of chlorine off the tap water.

You're absolutely right about the destruction of the beneficial
microorganisms in the gut and disease (and medication!). Some people
go so far as to say that all disease starts this way, or at least
manages to gain a foothold because of this factor, an essential
precondition. Others take it even further, saying that immunity is a
product of a healthy soil, and disease of a sick soil. I don't argue
with any of this, there's a basis of truth to it, and indeed the soil
has often been compared with an inside-out intestine, same principles
at work, very often the same microorganisms too. Sick soil, sick
people, sick water, it's all closely related. You might find this an
interesting read:

11. The Retreat of the Crop and the Animal before the Parasite
Humus and Disease Resistance
The Mycorrhizal Association and Disease
The Investigations of Tomorrow
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/howardAT/AT11.html

12. Soil Fertility and National Health
http://journeytoforever.org/ farm_library/howardAT/AT12.html

-- An Agricultural Testament by Sir Albert Howard, Oxford University
Press, 1940.

I agree about the yoghurt too - some people will call that quackery,
but it's firmly established that the flora in live yoghurt will
suppress and destroy gut pathogens, and indeed recolonise the gut.
Not many doctors prescribe it though, do they? Funny that... (not!).

>       If my options were (1) drinking from a polluted river or (2) drinking
>water containing active chlorine, I'd choose Door Number Two. That would
>keep me well long enough to build a cistern so that I could collect rain
>water and drink that instead.

They're not the best choices, but a couple of billion people only
have choice #1 on offer. Door Number Two at least gives them a
chance, some space to work with where more and better solutions can
be implemented. Damn... every time I think of this (quite often) I
get totally furious about the Iraq sanctions and the half-million
children who died there because of this. :-( It's bad enough already
- shameful enough in this day and age - without deliberately CAUSING
it!!! An atrocity to rival Bhopal? I think so.

Anyway, thanks once again for the good info.

Best wishes

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511