"Tricia Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To EV Designers or Producers:
>
> 1.All the available EV's and Chargers have the same mind-set as the
> Gasoline vehicles.
>    With a nozzle on the side of the car, but most of the chargers are
>    standing right in front of
>     each EV's!  Drivers have to pull the nozzle toward the sides of the
>     cars to charge their vehicles!??

Tricia, I have owned at least 3 on-road EVs now, have 2 more projects under
way,
and driven more than I can remember.  One problem we have with EVs is that
drivers
pull away without remembering to unplug.  After years of dealing with broken
connectors, shredded cords and damaged outlets, I have reached the following
conclusion.  The correct location for the charge connector on the vehicle is
right
behind the driver door.  If the driver has to trip over the cord or otherwise
entrap themselves in it to enter the vehicle, they will unplug it.  I have seen
other systems intended to get around this issue, but this is the one that is
simple
and inexpensive to implement and works virtually every time.

The front of the vehicle is probably the worst place to mount an electrical
connector.  This exposes it to ram-driven rain and other precipitation, and
road
dust and debris, leading to corrosion and other fouling of the contacts and
possibly more physical damage.

I understand your thoughts on the subject.  That's where I started, too.
However,
with over 25 years of on-road experience, I have changed my opinion to that
stated
above.

> 2.When we have bulky battery pack on board a vehicle, you have to find
> other ways to
>    charge the battery packs faster!  The biggest problem for battery
>    powered EV 's is the time consuming charging!  Toyota RAV4-EV has 30 x
>    NiMh batteries and that takes 4 hours to charge up!  If you divided up
>    the 30 batteries into 10 portable battery packs! 1)We can charge the
>    now removable battery packs in 10 separate outlets then it will take
>       only 24 minutes to charge the battery packs!
>       Build a wall full of these outlets, insert these portable packs and
>       pay 1-2 quarters to charge up! And owners can have another set to
>       replace the low energy pack, leaving the used pack to be charged up
>       at homes or offices!
>    2)You can design the EV's to have a front charger, even your battery
>    pack may locate in the back of
>       the car.  Divide them into 10 packs. Wire them to have charging
>       receptacle in the front of the EV's! We can build car ports with
>       chargers in front of each parking spaces, The EV charger heads have
>       10 contact points, when you park your EV's in each parking space!
>       Flip open the front lid, expose the receptacle to meet the charger!
>       +/- to +/- After they are tightly connected, turn on the switch to
>       allow current to flow into the battery packs! Image the wireless
>       phone receivers, we have to leave them on the charger stands to
>       recharge? So we can use this multiple contact point chargers to
>       charge up the divided battery packs. Instead of wiring batteries to
>       have only one receptacle like the gasoline car with it's gas tank?
>       We can free ourselves from that concept, but using a more powerful
>       charger! Cut down the time of recharge from 4 hours to 20-30
>       minutes! My original idea to back up the car to allow the battery
>       pack in the back of vehicles to meet the charger was wrong.  Some
>       drivers could not back up properly, frontal charging is the only
>       possibility! GEM(NEV) has very good design, but only 25MPH.
>       Reinvent your battery pack and get a better DC motors.  75-100MPH
>       and range 150-200Miles, it will be a real car.

So, if I understand correctly, you want an electric car that can refuel about
as
fast as a gasser, and travel nearly as far on a refuelling, but be zero
emissions.
Probably should be cheaper than a gasser to buy and operate as well.  Well, we
would all like to reach nirvana, but so far we haven't found it.

People can't drive into a target accurately either.  Induction (wireless)
charging
setups have significant efficiency losses.  Stick with the power cord and
connector.  It's cheap, it's simple, it works.

Charging speed is typically a function of the available power (usually
inadequate
unless specialized, dedicated charging stations are being used), and what the
battery system can handle without problems, especially during the finishing
portion
(top 20%) of the charge.

Based on our household driving patterns, the ability to drop 200 miles worth of
range into the batteries in under an hour is a capability we would use about 4
times a year.  I'm not claiming we're typical, but I read stats year after year
showing that over 80% of miles driven in private vehicles in North America are
driven in urban environments, with each individual trip being 20 miles or less
(averaging under 10).  There are many multi-vehicle households.  In most cases,
at
least one of those vehicles will be used primarily for commuting and local
errand
running.  For me, that is the initial target market for EVs.  Extended range
and
fast recharging are not requirements for that market, and trying to find an EV
that
can do everything a gasser can do (except pollute) sets a high bar that will
inhibit the acceptance of EVs.  Lets get urban EVs on the road first, then
focus on
the long-haul missions later.

DC motors are pretty efficient.  Most operate without external cooling.  Some
use
blowers for air cooling.  On the other hand, every OEM AC-powered vehicle I
have
seen yet produces so much waste heat that they require forced circulation
liquid
cooling, same as internal combustion engines.  In my experience, about the only
efficiency advantage I see consistently for AC motors is that they implement
regenerative braking more easily than series-wound (cheapest configuration) DC
motors.  I'm sure AC is coming, but for my money DC remains cheaper to install
(motor plus controller costs), and remains more efficient (when motor plus
controller plus parasitic losses in total are considered).  As for the
advantages
of regen, they are greatly reduced when the driver understands how to drive for
energy conservation.  If you don't use the brakes much, the opportunity for
recouping that energy is greatly diminished.

Removable packs create a few issues of their own.  Additional purchase cost.
Equipment to handle the removal and insertion of the packs.  If the packs are
not
owned, but swapped, the potential for getting a much worse pack than the one
you
just handed in (damaged, does not hold as much charge, etc).  I have come to
the
conclusion that battery swapping will work only if the service provider owns
all of
the packs, and the vehicle owner simply pays for pack usage and recharging.

> 2.Solar Carports
>    Because we are building this type of new structures, the DC current can
>    supply power to these EV chargers.  So when you design the chargers,
>    please allow them both AC and DC operable! Solar array can supply
>    24-48VDC to charge up EV's DC battery packs, without converting to AC!

Absolutely.  The catch is that very few on-road EVs operate at such low
voltages.
96 volts DC is typically the lowest system voltage, and some EVs use battery
packs
over 300 volts.  If you can develop a standard, this direct-DC approach might
work.
 However, for overall efficiency, I recommend generating a standard grid
voltage
(120 or 240 volts AC) so that grid rechargeable EVs can use their existing
on-board
chargers in the solar carports instead of installing a second on-board charge
controller, and so the carport can feed the grid when there are no EVs present,
or
those present are fully charged.

> 4.Frontal Charging
>    Every parking spaces can leave rooms to have a charger with this faster
>    and more powerful chargers Must have universal spec for this frontal
>    charger, so  EV/Charger/Carport manufacturers have the same set of
>    spec!

Covered above.

> 5.PV+EV
> The new type of InGaN cells(Indium-Gallium-Nitride) cell has an efficiency
> of 56% vs the
>
> silicon 14-18%!  It can be applied to curved surfaces or windows!
> Vehicles can be covered
>
> with PV and the cost is 60% cheaper than silicon PV!
>
>  This is important for trailers, RV's!  When there is no gas stations!
>  Leaving your vehicles under the
>
>  Sun to recharge the battery pack is a way out of an emergency!  Even
>  military vehicles can be
>
>  benefited from sunlight charging if moving out of supply lines!

I'm not much of a fan of PVs on electric cars.  Mostly because so many cars
spend
so much time parked in shaded areas, or in garages.  Also, panels that are
fitted
to the vehicle surface cannot be optimally mounted for solar collection.  So,
in
general, I prefer to see the PVs mounted in an optimized, stationary situation,
possibly with maximum power point tracking.

(Disclosure:  I do have a PV panel on my electric Fiero conversion, which is
used
to top up the accessory battery.  I have a PV panel on my electric boat, which
is
its primary charging source.  However, the boat has much lower energy demands
than
an on-road car.)

> In case we have a EV with
>
> 1)Li-Polymer Battery packs(or other advanced new type) with 200 or more
> miles range
>
> 2)Covered with efficient flexible PV to get charged in day time!
>
> 3)Plus one set of spare battery packs
>
> 4)Faster charger electric stations both commercial or at homes/offices.
> Day or night!
>

> 6.Hydrogen or Compressed air are both more expensive energy forms.

Agreed.  And as near as I can figure out, compressed air just doesn't have
competitive on-board energy storage compared to advanced batteries, but is only
slightly better than conventional lead-acid battery technology today.

>    Electricity is popular and abundant, just don't burn more coals for
>    this increase need
>
>    for fuel usage.  Apply more renewable energy to generate more
>    electricity, we will be okay!
>
>    To eliminate the negativities of car, oil consumption and air
>    pollutions.
>
>    Finally the tailpipes on any cars will be history!

Put the tailpipe in the steering wheel.  That might change the average driver's
perception of the tailpipe emissions issue.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511