The other day I spoke to a woman near Tucson, Arizona (an hour from where I am
moving) who had done a lot with her 5 acres, her livestock, her house and who
and some real interest and expertise in engineering.  She had looked into
installing some solar PV a year or two ago and had run into the really bad Net
Metering laws or practices that were in place in her area.

There was no way that financially the math could add up for her to install the
PV.  Not being wealthy enough to do such a project for do-gooder reasons, she
opted to wait it out.  She had also run into a Colorado resident who had run
into precisely the same raw deal.

I've *never* heard the President or Vice President discuss or mention this
issue, and yet it is central to promulgating a new Distributed Energy Paradigm
(which they imply they want but apparently don't actually give a damn about).

This is deliberate neglect of an issue, in my view, perpetrated in order to
stall the implementation of a good idea.  We see that the best way to defeat a
good idea is to nip it in the bud from the onset by not allowing that it even
exists, by never mentioning it, never bringing it up, never discussing it.
Anyone who tries to do so is dismissed as overly-concerned about obscure
overly-environmental impractical nonsense.

There are of course other technologies and nuances to technological and societal
and political science issues which also suffer from this intensely effective
strategy of studied neglect.  Regenerative brakes come to mind, not to mention
one or two biofuel-related issues, not to mention some other solar-energy
related issues.

But I think it is worthwhile to mention this particular area, of Net-Metering.

It's been obvious for many years now that some leadership at the national level
is needed to at least bring some attention to this issue, if not to offer
streamlined and *fair* guidelines or laws, that will make sure that neither
consumer nor utility get a raw deal.

MM

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511