I would love to know more info on the biomass gasifier but the site you
reference in not in English. Know of any other good sources?

Mark McElvy

  _____

From: gcjahnke2000 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 11:54 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Re: Newbie looking for advice

My disclaimer is the same as your.  I have never made biodiesel, I am
just looking at the options.  For heating your fuel, there is a
cheaper, more environmental friendly way to do it.  Build a biomass
gasifier and use that to for your heat source.  You cna find some
info about how to build a gasifier at
http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/3.shtml.
<http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/3.shtml.>   I recently built one and it
works really well.  Mine is powered by woodchips that I get from the
local dump (they have thousands of tons of the things.  Check with
your local dump, there is a good chance they either have them or know
where to get them free) and is currently running an old chevy
straight 6 that is coupled to a 10kw generator.  I have a second
gasifier that has a blower on it and is connected to my foundry.  The
temp is controlled by the blower speed.  It can be controled pretty
accuratly this way (within 10 degrees anyway).

I have still not figured out where to get the WVO to start with.  Do
you just call your local mcdonalds and ask them if you can have some
of their old oil?  If/when I get this figured out (hint, hint....
somebody pls give me some advice on this one) I do at least know how
I am going to heat and power the thing economically (the rest I am
still working on).

If you are looking for off grid, I think the gasifier is your best
bet.  I just got my system up and runnign about a week ago.  I pulled
the breaker at the meter (yes, we have a main breaker right bellow
the meter) and we have been off grid ever since, except fo a couple
hours where I turned the main breaker back on and shut down my engine
to check it for tar deposits (happy to report there were none evident
at all).

If you want/need more info on gasifiers, let me know.  It is actually
an incredibly simple thing.  I built mine entirely out of junk that I
salvaged from the local dump or had sitting in my barn.  I don't now
if I would want to use one to run a vehicle, but for running either a
stationary generator or for heating stuff (like a foundry or a big
drum full of vegetable oil) it works great!

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron F. Wieler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I still haven't made BD. I can still think and use a
> calculator, though. OK...
>
> You're looking at a lot of electricity to heat your fuel through the
> reaction. I would suggest that you consider heating the WVO in a
separate
> container with WVO, biodiesel, or byproduct before the reaction.
Then you
> can insulate the reactor, and use electricity for keeping
everything hot,
> once it's at the reaction temperature. Also, it seems to me that the
> "foolproof" method is a lot more energy intensive because of the
long
> process time, and the need to re-heat the oil (whatever it is at
this
> point) after the first stage. Insulate.
>
> Also, depending on the size of your battery bank, it might take
awhile to
> recouperate after running a reaction, unless you are using your
generator
> (which is legitimate here, i would say.)
>
> Good luck. I'm trying to make an off-grid BD processor too. I'm
going the
> direction of pre-heating WVO with fuel, then using good insulation
and
> only a little PV-generated electricity to run the pump and maybe
keep the
> oil warm with an electric immersion heat element.
>
> -Aaron
>

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been following this list for a while know and am very
interested in
> > making Biodiesel for my own use.  I am building a retirement home
in northern
> > Michigan that is a totally off grid.  We have solar and wind
power for our
> > electric.  I have installed a solar wall for some of my heat and
the Biodiesel
> > would work great for my Diesel generator, bulldozer, and pickup
truck.

> > I am thinking of going with Aleks Kac's Foolproof method for
making it.  I
> > was wondering what some of you think of this method?  I have a
good source for
> > the WVO so it won't be a problem.  I am still looking for a good
source for the
> > Methanol and sulfuric acid.  I have found it online but it is a
little
> > pricey.  I also see it takes 10% phosphoric acid.  I am not a
chemist at all and
> > don't know what that is or where to look for it.  I found a
higher percentage
> > online but don't know if that was what I needed or not.  I hope
these questions
> > are not to dumb but I want to make sure I start this out right.
I am making my

<http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html>

> > Biofuels list archives:
> > http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?list=biofuel
<http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?list=biofuel>

> > Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
> > To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

<http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html>

<http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?list=biofuel>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c051lb7/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroup
web/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1071647230/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Defa
ult?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=280836957>

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*       To visit your group on the web, go to:

*       To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*       Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service