Hi Dave, Tim, Edward and all

>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Somewhat related, and useful in any case:
> >
> > Ethanol blended diesel (e-diesel) is a cleaner burning alternative
> > to regular diesel for both heavy-duty (HD) and light-duty (LD)
>
>Tim,
>
>You may also be interested by Sweden's use of a 90% ethanol formula
>(Etamax D).  Check it out:
>http://www.surface.akzonobel.com/fueladd.pdf and
>http://www.sekab.se/eng/word/EtamaxD.doc .
>
>It has even greater emissions reductions than e-diesel (when compared
>to diesel), plus it won't freeze (they're near the artic circle).
>
>Dave

So might this be of interest:

>Water CAN be blended with diesel!!  A bus company in NSW (AUS) is
>trialing a 10% water emulsion using an emulsifying agent imported
>from the US. The stable emulsion looks like milk. The mix has a
>detergent effect, requiring precleaning of the fuel system to prevent
>filter blockage. In addition a coarser fuel filter is fitted.
>Apparently the water droplets are surrounded by diesel creating an
>effectively large particle size. The reported effects on pollution
>are similar to those recorded for diodiesel. In Bundaberg QLD a plant
>produces diesahol- a blend of ethanol with diesel. I have mixed
>absolute ethanol (and methanol) with biodiesel 50:50, the solution
>has been stable for 8 months now-no separation and no apparent
>freezing in response to sub zero nights.

More: http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/BIOFUELS-BIZ/835/

Blending ethanol with SVO is a different matter - IIRC the best I
could get with absolute ethanol was 22% in a stable blend.

The ACREVO study reports major emissions reductions by adding 9%
ethanol (95%), with SVO, rapeseed oil.

"The overall combustion performance of the rapeseed oil are very
satisfactory in comparison with the diesel fuel while the rapeseed
oil produces almost 40 % less soot than diesel fuel. The different
volatility of this fuel respect to the diesel fuel is responsible of
the different behaviour of the sampled gas concentrations in the base
of the flames while at the end of the flames, both attain almost the
same values. It has been established that an addition of 9 % of ethyl
alcohol (95 %) bring a great benefit regarding the pre-heating oil
temperature. In fact, the presence of alcohol allows a reduction in
the inlet oil temperature from 150 ¡C to 80 ¡C. Moreover, the
combustion of the emulsion produces less soot and, at the exhaust,
the amount is almost one half less than that produced by the
combustion of rapeseed oil."

http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm
Advanced Combustion Research for Energy from Vegetable Oils (ACREVO)

You should read that report in full, Edward, if you're thinking you
can just mix it and chuck it in. In an old Mercedes diesel maybe.

On the other hand,  diesels will run on pure ethanol (no need for
absolute). See: The Manual for the Home and Farm Production of
Alcohol Fuel, Chapter 3 UTILIZATION OF ALCOHOL FUELS, Diesel Engines:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual3.html

And the archives - it's apparently not without its problems.

Best

Keith

Edward wrote:

>Can ethanol blended with pure vegetable oil be used as fuel for an
>unmodified diesel engine?
>
>I am a member of the Biofuels Research Cooperative in Sebastopol,
>California. We collect recycled vegetable oil for our members for
>use as fuel for their converted diesel vehicles. Our cars run on
>100% vegetable oil.
>
>The reason I ask about the ethanol and veggie blend is because there
>is a crucial viscosity issue regarding the straight vegetable oil as
>fuel. There is a necessary modification using the Elsbett or
>Neoteric kits before the diesel car can run on pure veggie. As you
>know, biodiesel can be run directly in an unmodified diesel engine.
>The required step, however, is the modification of the veggie oil
>before it can be used as fuel.
>
>So the two options present themselves: 1. Modify the diesel engine,
>or 2. Modify the fuel (veggie oil). If an ethanol-veggie blend can
>work then we can bypass the modification of the engine. However, I
>fear that a diesel engine may not take very kindly to having ethanol
>introduced into it, even if it is blended with veggie oil. The BRC
>has chosen the route of modifying the engine but if the
>ethanol-veggie blend works then there is no need to go through the
>hassle and expense of adapting the diesel motor to the alternative
>fuel. I can see myself producing ethanol at home with a still to
>later mix with my pure veggie oil.
>
>Any response will be appreciated,
>
>Edward Mendoza
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]