Chris,

> What I am unsure of, and would like some advice
> on is what is a good way to do methanol recovery?
>  and what is the preferred method of transfer from
>  container to container?

A thin film evaporator coupled to a condensor is the best method of
recovery. A rough verbal description can be found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biofuel/message/30463
Something like this could easily be scaled up and modularized to match
volumes of production.

The heat source can be anything you choose. But the idea of a thin drip down
an enclosed and heated tube is probably as inexpensive and simple as you're
going to get. Off the shelf stuff. Better than a pot still.

Preferential methods to move alcohol would be gravity and positive
displacement using air pressure. Magnetic pump with a TEFC (totally enclosed
fan cooled) motor at minimum would be my next choice.

Method of agitation is your choice. Prop agitation is brainless. Use a TEFC
motor and make sure your motor base is solid as a rock. Pump agitation is
equally as mindless. A magnetic drive pump would ensure that you'd have no
seal leaks. Again, make sure the pump motor is a TEFC enclosure.

Plastic containers can be heated with suspended heat exchangers of whatever
preference. You'll not want to go beyond 120*F and preferably only use tanks
rated at 1.9 specific gravity. Higher temps and thinner tanks will warp
sooner. Insulate heavily.

Todd Swearingen