Hi,

Although I agree that the US doesn't seem to be making much headway towards
improvements in the energy situation, I think you are too pessimistic
relative to the 'way out.'

I believe the means are available. It is just a matter of bringing attention
to the problem. Of having the political will at the top, and of having
awareness of the problem in the population. I really don't think the average
person has gotten the message that there is a problem. Maybe they have been
told too many lies through the ages and they say, 'but, the cost is the
same.' They won't believe it until the cost of NG, or oil, or electricity, or
whatever goes up. I sincerely don't believe the common man perceives a
problem when he can get gasoline for a little more than a dollar a gallon.
So...it is more comfortable and convenient to drive a large vehicle...and he
does.

Jimmy Carter was able to turn the US around towards Solar and so forth during
his administration when we had that fuel crisis. Then, the crisis went away,
and so did the changes that had been implemented. If the awareness is there,
we can have the put out the bonfire mentality and go for it, probably
successfully, although it isn't the best way to correct a problem. When the
US was focused on going to the moon by Kennedy, they got down to work and
they did it. It is a matter of focus and political will.

I also feel that the answer to the energy 'problem' is right here on this
biofuels list and the discussions of various biofuels. First, conservation.
There is a tremendous amount of energy savings available through conservation
with relatively little impact on US quality of life. Some are already in use
in the country and just need to be expanded. Others are already in use in
other countries and just need to be borrowed. Flourescent lighting, compact
flourescents as retrofits, LED lighting, better insulation of buildings, co-
gen projects, etc. On the energy supply side, we can substitute biodiesel,
SVO/WVO into diesel engines, both stationary and in transport applications.
Ethanol can be used in spark ignition engines. Space heating is a huge energy
user and I see corn burning and other biomass burning as a big solution to
this problem. See http://burncorn.net/ I really don't see any need for space
heating to come from any other source than the burning of waste biomass or
renewables such as corn. Wind and solar can be expanded.

The means are available. The will is not.

I think the people are getting the message, albeit slowly. I think that there
will be change to a more sustainable future regardless of what the political
industrial complex want. The word of a better way is getting out...through
the Internet, etc. There is a basic ground swell of change in progress that
eventually the politicians will need to answer to.

One thing I see as essential will be a lowering of the cost of alternative
energies. I know it is often discussed that it would be advantageous to raise
the cost of fossil energy to the level of alternatives to make the
alternatives more attractive. My fear along these lines is that as the price
of crude goes up, fields that currently are not economically viable, or are
too environmentally sensitive, will become economically and politically
viable. We might see a lot more environmental destruction as areas are
exploited that currently wouldn't be acceptable. So...I would like to see the
price of energy go up to encourage savings as mentioned in the first
paragraph, but am concerned that if this is too great, we could see
accelerated and more wanton destruction of the environment in the pursuit of
fossil fuels. Hopefully the cost of alternatives will cap the cost in such a
way that they cost of fossil fuels will not go to a level that these hard to
exploit fields will be opened.

Derek

> Hi Robert,
>
> US have both capacity and shown in the past that things can happen quickly,
> but this time it will be very difficult. It would need a regime change and
> not only that, the new regime would need to understand what has to be done.
> It is too serious to be subject to the normal lobbying, corporate and
> political interests. I am not that optimistic about US, at least not
> without very serious harm have been done to US and the world. This is maybe
> the most serious draw back of democracies. It is difficult to get painful
> cures in place and people are often told that the problems are less than
> they are.
>
> I think that you are right, it need fundamental changes and the signs are
> not good. It is many things that can be done better, but the search for a
> golden bullet is very damaging. US starts to be a victim of its own
> propaganda. I said once on the list that US was a technology leader,
> without thinking too much, I am also in some instances falling for it. The

> list immediately and rightfully corrected me, US is not a leader in
> innovations and has never been. The danger is that the world might rely on
> US to find the golden bullet to energy crises. I belive like you, that it
> will be a lot of bullets flying around, but not of the golden type. Any
> kind of energy solutions must be easy and world inclusive, simple,
> repeatable and available for all. That is why I am somewhat skeptical to
> hydrogen and cannot see a fit.
>
> My description of the likely route of US, coal and nuclear, did in any way
> meant that I recommended it. On the contrary, US will in this process hurt
> the whole world and maybe most of the 4% that lives in US also. Maybe a
> massive cloning of Keith is a necessary action. -:))
>
> Seriously, the promotion and spreading of information is the most valuable
> direct action that all of us can participate in. Sometimes I am accused of
> being too heavy, cannot understand why. LOL
>
> Hakan
>

> At 04:41 27/12/2003, you wrote:
>

> >Hakan Falk wrote:
> >
> > > FAST DEVELOPMENT OF COAL AND NUCLEAR.
> > >
> > > This is also a high stake poker game, but would give US much more time
> > > than
> > > any oil route.
> >
> >     A lot of intelligent people advocate this approach.  Personally, it
> >makes me feel uneasy and it doesn't really address the fundamental
> >problem of flagrant energy wastage we've discussed at length in this
> >forum.  This afternoon on a trip to Seattle, I shook my head at the
> >sheer number of massive, large displacement vehicles occupied by single
> >drivers on the roads in my country.  We sat in traffic for long periods
> >of time with engines idling.  (All because my mother sent a huge can of
> >popcorn to us from Witchita, Kansas that Fed Ex wouldn't deliver across
> >the border. . .  Had I known what it was, I would have told Fed Ex to
> >send it back!)

> [...]

To visit your group on the web, go to: