At 11:35 PM 12/28/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>The grey system required twice
>as large a drain field as the black, something which ate up a lot of yard
>space and a goodly chunk of the budget. We do all the plumbing work
>ourselves, but if you were hiring it done, the expense of running double
>systems would also raise the cost of an installation considerably.

I too installed more sustainable systems and found the additional expense
of having to repeat some parts of the systems regrettable.   I guess I was
just thinking of specifically running shower water to toilets and then out
to the regular black water septic system.  Interesting about the sheep. I
love finding out how different sustainable housing alternatives stack up in
actual use.

As for the households that only flush occasionally, while I am certainly
not known for being particularly fastidious, I find that practice to be too
smelly, especially with male liquid waste.  It seems to me that male
animals regardless of species seem to have a "marking" scent, that needs
immediate flushing or outside air.  (Maybe the boys could just water the
trees?)
Caroline

To visit your group on the web, go to: