Still making goo.

I heated a liter of the oil really hot (~300 F) on the stove to see
if any water would boil off.  I decided the oil doesn't have any
entrained water.

I did a titration and determined the needed amount of lye to
neutralize the free fatty acids to be 8 to 9 grams/liter, + 3.5 grams
for the esterification, = 11.5 to 12.5 grams/liter!

I made test batch #9.  A one liter batch.  Preheated oil (~140 F).
Premixed the lye into 200 ml of methanol until dissolved (5
minutes).  Then poured them together in a sealed jar (no methanol
evaporation).  Shook for 10-12 minutes.  Allowed to settle at room
temp.  Result: about 10% oil, 90% goo.

What now?!  Help!

Should I keep it warm during settling?  Should I mix the sodium
methoxide longer?

Bill

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "skillshare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You pretty much should do a titration, (journeytoforever.org of
> course or go to groups.yahoo.com/group/biodiesel and search
> for 'tailgate titration' which I think gives you simple
instructions)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511