At 10:38 PM 12/29/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Get rid of the caffeine, nicotine, meat and cut way back on dairy and you'll
>find that nobody smells as bad as they did with it.

True and even as I wrote that I knew there was more to it than gender, I
must say my opinion is based on a limited study group- my husband and
son.  The son was completely breastfed at the time, and still the smell was
much worse than it had been for the girls,  Admittedly I made assumptions
based on that limited comparison.

>Deodorants can usually be abandoned altogether,

Actually I  personally find women to be more naturally "fragrant" in that
area, with or without shaving.

>Besides, humans haven't been coming off the assembly line with scent glands
>per se for the past several thousand years.

I am not sure what you meant by this, but I was assuming that "natural
smells" were normal biological processes, some of which have been
conditioned by industrialized society to be interpreted as offensive where
perhaps they are not or even are desirable in other cultures.  I have too
little direct information on that issue to make definitive statements.

>And while this doesn't have a grand amount to do with biofuels, some of
>these wrong perceptions sure can lend to mountains of consumer purchases of
>produets de parfume in the collective. These same products require enormous
>amounts of chemicals, energy and other resources to produce and transport,
>and generate even more needless waste and polution in their use and
>disposal.

Absolutely, however again I must say it is also a fair amount of cultural
conditioning. Back to a similar original example, diapers.  Human babies
have lived the first few months in some form or other of diapers since they
started wearing clothes.  Yet today with disposable diapers with the
absorbent gel stuff and scent inside, there is almost no odor. While this
seems a plus to the average consumer, the waste created and the waste and
cost  to produce these, is staggering.  But, in just a few years this
method of child care has become so much the standard that using a
traditional and environmentally friendly method is becoming scarce  and
unavailable for many lifestyles. (Most daycare centers, not that I approve
I institutionalized child rearing, will not allow anything but disposable
diapers.)  This has become yet another "necessity", that must be provided
for the indigent, along with formula, and baby food which to me is the best
example of how skewed industrialized cultures have become.  I rent space to
social services and have had opportunity to observe both their clients and
their rules. The requirements they have that are not only wasteful but
often arguably contribute to poor outcomes in their clients lives are
amazing to me.

>Imagine the bottom line that could be eroded of some realy ugly corporations
>and industrial practices if humans started getting rid of root problems
>rather than just covering them up. Nasty business that of deception.

I believe deception is the name of the game.  Most modern products are
springing up not out of need, but out of deceptive advertising to try to
convince the public they "need" to buy the product.  (Children grew to
adulthood for years and years before Gerber marketed babyfood.)

>  to ruining
>millions of weekends for young lad's whenever grandmum and Aunty Jean give
>up those full body hugs upon each visit.

So I'm confused are you for or against deodorant?  LOL

I think the "problems" we are discussing becomes even more complex, and a
future legal issue should smells that one group or the majority find
offensive or alluring become illegal to allow to intrude on the senses of
others.  It seems far-fetched now, but I could see plenty of greedy
corporations willing to provide "solutions".  I for one cannot stand the
smell of vinegar, a substance that most folks find appetizing, in my own
domain, my house, neither it nor anything discernibly made with it is
allowed. And though it makes me physically ill to smell it, I would never
want to encourage public or private establishments to "outlaw" it's
use.  (OK, I will admit I can't actually eat at a place that smells like
vinegar and therefore am discouraging it's viability, nonetheless I try to
be as supportive as I can to others.)

And yet, isn't a touted benefit for veggie oil powered vehicles that the
emissions smell like french fries?  I think we cannot discount sensory
perception in the question of living sustainably.
Caroline

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511