More and more local code enforcement agencies really are pushing every
new building towards " higher" insulation values. Only a few major
glitches that they seem to not understand or just totally ignore.

Tests by researchers show that fiberglass is good at 75 degrees... but
has no insulating value at 20 degrees F.

Second.  How much insulation value is there in a building constructed
with Steel studs?  Even the building industry admits steel is a super
great conductor of heat.. be it into or out of a building.  Always
enjoy that they put batts between the studs.. and then you get a
thermal nose bleed every 16-24 inches.
Here is the reprint from Oakridge testing labs

Did you know that R-Value testing is done at 72 degrees Fahrenheit
with no infiltration/exfiltration, humidity at 40% or lower and with a
small temperature change for a short duration?  This test, which is
the standard R-Value test was designed when the only insulation
material being evaluated was fiberglass.  It was developed by the
Fiberglass industry, so it's hardly surprising that it would favor
them.  When the conditions of the test are varied fiberglass doesn't
do well.  For example, at 20 degrees F with 50% humidity, fiberglass
is R-0.  EPs acually gets higher R-values as the temperatures
decrease, and humidity does not affect it at all.  The test is an
unreliable guide to efficiency.

Imagine how effective insulation is when doors and windows are left
open.  Essentially, infiltration and exfiltration issues are similar.
 Air and moisture flow through the structure greatly reduce the energy
efficiency of the home.  SIPs address this issue better than
conventional stick or steel frame construction.  Blower door tests
indicate that SIPs are 20% tighter than very well built stick frame
homes and as much as 40% tighter than most conventional construction.

If you've ever used a space blanket, you've seen how effective
reflective radiant sheeting can be for insulating.  Any material which
keeps radiant energy from converting to condutive energy is considered
good as a radiant barrier.  Stick frame, steel studs and masonry are
all exceptionally bad at this and SIPs are good at it.

Some materials are slow to change temperature- they have inertia to
temperature change.   Air and metal are very bad at this and
non-metallic solids are good at it.   SIPs are excellent insulators
where thermal mass is a factor.

A standard stick or steel frame wall has studs every 16", which
translates to about 20% to 25% of the actual surface area.  Obviously
there is no insulation where the framing is so the less framing, the
higher the insulation efficiency.  According to Oak Ridge National
Labs, this one issue reduces the efficiency of a wood stud wall by 33%
and a steel stud wall by as much as 55%.  SIPs rate a 7% loss of
efficiency.

SIPs are generally tighter at the window connections, but teh quality
of the window (R-value and low E) is often the most under-rated issue
in energy efficiency.  If you look at thermographic images of highly
energy-efficient homes the loss through windows is striking.

Connection details at the corners, wall top and bottom and at openings
are another weak spot for energy efficiency in conventional
construction which is well-handled in SIPs.

As you can see- the real issues of energy efficiency are ignored when
R-value is stressed.

So as I was dreaming about earlier today.. wouldnt it be lovely if we
could all have houses rated at R 45?  Yeah pipe dreams for 90% of the
buildings going up...

To visit your group on the web, go to: