You wrote:
> I have often seen calls for a popularization of small wind, but this seems
> to be more a question of development of small turbines for urban and
> sub-urban siting. To bring clarity in this question, a debate and
> discussion is needed. I have done the following article,
>
> Plug-’n Wind turbine, a development specification.
> http://energy.saving.nu/plugin/windturbine.shtml
>
> as an attempt to get a discussion started.
>
> Hakan

 Hi Hakan,
 I'm a bit puzzled.

 Is there a Darrieus Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine (DhAWT) as mentioned below,
 "We end up with two possible and logical designs for our urban wind turbine,
either the
  DHAWT or the PHAWT."   and
 "The characteristics of the DHAWT make it very suitable to work in..."
  http://energy.saving.nu/plugin/windturbine.shtml

 I read long ago the Darrieus Vertical Axis Wind Turbine's (DVAWT)
 needed startup assistance in low velocity winds using some
 sort of Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (SVAWT), also
 known for its torque, to start the DVAWT  -or-  some sort of
 electric motor circuit for startup during low speed winds
 but things could very well have changed.

 I'd read picoturbine.com which says --

   PART 3: Technical Notes
   Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) ö Drag based
   This design is used in the PicoTurbine project.
   Specifically, the design is called the Savonius
   turbine, after itâs inventor, S. I. Savonius.
   It was invented in the 1920âs. It uses drag, like a
   cup anemometer, to produce torque. Because it is
   horizontal there is no need to have a
   mechanism to keep it turned into the wind.

   Disadvantage - Lower efficiency.
   Estimates range from 15% to 24% efficient
   as compared to 40% for other designs.

   From --
   Latest PicoTurbine Plans, Revision 1.1B,
   Adobe PDF Format (size: 907 kilobytes)
   picoturbine.com/pt001-plan11B.pdf

 One thought mentioned at PicoTurbine is
 the possibility of increasing power output
 by designing it to use more magnets to
 compromise for the lower wind gathering
 efficiencies as speed increases but
 taking advantage of its higher torque
 capabilities if I understood it correctly.
 There maybe some interest in the
 Technical Notes included in the various plans
 http://www.picoturbine.com/projectlist.htm

 Savonius rotor designs
 http://www.angelfire.com/ak/egel/savonius.html
 1) very strong due to the central shaft, but slightly less efficient
 2) slightly more efficient
 3) the most efficient

To visit your group on the web, go to: