<x-charset ISO-8859-1>I live in rural Iowa, and my local electric co-op has had
several wind
generation articles in their monthly self-promotional magazine, which
read to me as your basic attempt to undermine any thought of a small
producer hooking into their grid.

What it boils down to is this:  It's the Golden Rule; he who has the
gold, makes the rules.  That farmer is nuts, expecting to get paid
retail prices for his electricity.  I have no issue with him exceeding
his capacity by 3 times and trying to make some money though.  But the
electric companies will only pay wholesale MINUS the per kilowatt hour
subsidy that is alloted to wind generated power (which we are
apparently *all* paying here in the US).  This does amount to 1-2
cents per KWH, after all is said and done.

Then, of course, you have to have all the mandated safety equipment,
so you don't electrocute the line workers.  AND the utility retains
the right to turn off your your power at the source at any time they
want, safety reasons notwithstanding.  We have some large wind farms
here and many, many of the generators aren't even turning on a given day.

As for the farmer himself, he sounds like he's setting himself up just
to look even more like a subsidy sucking entity than farmers here are
already viewed as.  They say if it weren't for government subsidies
(your tax dollars at work, even if you don't use their products),
prices would be totally outrageous.  I say, so be it.  If a box of
corn flakes cost 10 dollars a piece, but only the people who eat corn
flakes pay it, that is *fair*.  I don't eat corn flakes, why should I
pay a subsidy for it?  Same for vegetarians, which I am decidedly not.
 It's the market place that should decide what they'll pay, not the
government or the producers.  These subsidies and guaranteed pricing
are why the US produces enormous surpluses of grain, just to sit on
the ground and mold, or sit in storage until it is no longer fit for
consumption.

End rant ;-).  I gotta go move some snow...

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511