In a message dated 1/29/04 12:25:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Thank you, Jay, for the details. I'm going to attempt this operation
> next weekend, as this weekend is my beloved nephew's 10th birthday
> and there will be many celebrations. I hope you'll field questions if
> I become totally confused!
>
> I bet I'm going to have to find the knife edges are not sharp. If
> that's the case, do I replace them directly from Mettler or do I have
> other choices?
>
> As for a solid surface, the most immovable objects in my home are
> cast iron radiators. My central heating system is hot water, not
> steam, so the temperature rises and falls slowly. At its hottest, the
> temperature on top of the radiator is probably less than 80F (as I
> have radiator covers that direct the heat out at a lower level). As a
> point of comparison, the ambient temperature here in the summertime
> is often over 90F (at 95F I break down and turn on the AC). Is it
> possible that the radiator heat (winter only, of course) wouldn't
> bother it or would I be better to try to figure something else out?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Maud

Maud, chances are the knife edges should be ordered from Mettler.  With
respect to the solid surface, do not use the radiator as a platform.  As the
radiator heats, thermal currents will disrupt the weighting operation.  This
will be
due both to air currents as well as temperature fluctuations.  You would be
better off to use a kitchen  counter.  If you live alone and are not near a
busy highway, then even if you have a creaky, wood floor with little foundation
support, you are O.K.  The main point thing is to avoid vibration during the
weighing operation.  This not only forces you to weigh and reweigh to assure
that your weights are correct, but the knife edges can become dulled by
vibratory
contact with the beam.  Remember to frequently calibrate your instrument.
Also, keep it clean and free of corrosive substances that can react with the
internal weights.  If they become oxidized or otherwise react, then the weights
will no longer be correct.  If you need further help, just ask.  I can even
take images of the pertinant areas of my balance, showing specific details, and
email them to you.

-- Jay

To visit your group on the web, go to: