<x-charset ISO-8859-1>I was given this response/clarification from the DOE:

"
Hey Rob:
This is old news.  This decision was announced early in 2003.  Epact
mandated AFVs be phased in over several years for Federal, State,
and Fuel Provider fleets.  It never applied to private or municipal
fleets, but contained a provision that would allow the mandates to
be expanded through a formal rule-making process.  There was a
sunset clause to that provision and the option timed out without the
mandates being extended to cover to private and municipal fleets.
Epact is still being actively enforced for all of the fleets covered
in the original mandate.  No existing AFV requirements have been
cancelled, so the spin on this is misleading.

J. David Dunagan
U.S. Department of Energy
Atlanta Regional Office
"