Cool Deal,

I am going to check out these links and see what I can come up with.

Man this is fun.  I just love not having to buy electric or fuel for my house.

Rick M
Brownstown Mi.
Rick,

It's not so much a matter of biodiesel not working in kerosene lamps as it
is that biodiesel has its own peculiar properties (primarily wicking
capacity/viscosity in this instance) and that lamps are not designed to meet
those characteristics.

Other than that, biodiesel is a great fuel for lighting. The pressurized
Petromax lanterns that burn multi-fuels also burn biodiesel quite readily.
http://www.petromax.com/lanterns.htm

You can also use it as a fuel in oil candles, such as canning jar candles
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=894&i1Cat=669&i2Cat=6
82&i3Cat=894&i4Cat=0

or the ancient style metal and pottery oil lamps similar to what are seen
here:
www.ancientlamps.com
http://www.artmetal.com/village/furnitur/1022furn.htm
http://www.schoolsliaison.org.uk/astonhall/candles/sourcescandles/oillamps.htm

The niceest thing about biodiesel is that it burns brighter, cleaner and
with less maintenance than than pure veg oils.

Be aware that if you use biodiesel as a fuel in a canning jar candle, it
MUST be washed. Otherwise the alcohol will start to evaporate and you'll
have a blue flame as wide and deep as your container, which will shatter the
glass in a matter of minutes. Similar precaution should be taken when using
an ancient style lamp, as the alcohol fumes will eventually backflow out the
filler hole and repeatedly ignite.

Canning jar lamps are essentially a zero-cost and easy place to start toying
with the burning properties of biodiesel. Once you've got that simple bit of
light, the rest is up to your imagination.

Todd Swearingen

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511