<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Friedrich,

Diesels are often used with producer gas as the fuel (downdraft gasifiers)
to run generators. They work well in that application, as the high
compression compensates for the low energy value of the fuel.

Methane has a pretty high energy value. It might be that the fuel to air
ratio has to be tamed down (energy value) to the realm of producer gas to
prevent damage to the motor.

Here is a blurb from
http://www.homepower.htmlplanet.com/solar-vs-diesel-generators.html
Renewable Diesel?
"Diesel fuel is not the only fuel a diesel will run on. The addition of
methane at the air intake allows the use of much less diesel, typically one
third the normal fuel use, resulting in reduced cost and reduced pollution.
The methane can be from the bio-gas output of a methane digester. "

"Or the diesel can be entirely replaced by so-called bio-diesel --
reconditioned friar oil from the local fast food outlet. Here too, cost can
be reduced and it is claimed that vegetable oils burn far cleaner than
petroleum products.  Depending on which variation of several processes are
used to process the used cooking oil, a gallon of bio-diesel can be produced
for as little as 50 cents per gallon."

There is also this from

http://www.sannet.gov/mwwd/initiatives/energy.shtml

Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant
"Eight digesters at the Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant use heat and
bacteria to break down the organic solids removed from wastewater, much as
our stomachs digest food. One of the by-products of this biological process
is methane gas. Methane, a colorless, odorless flammable hydrocarbon gas, is
found almost anywhere that organic solids decompose in the absence of
oxygen - in mines, marshes, landfills and digester tanks."

"This methane gas is collected from the digesters and is piped to the
on-site Gas Utilization Facility (GUF). The methane fuels two continuously
running generators that can each produce up to 2235 kilowatts of electricity
(a total of approximately 4.5 megawatts). Using new technology under a grant
from the California Energy Commission, a diesel powered generator is now
able to also burn methane and produce an additional 1220 kilowatts (1.2
megawatts) as a peaking generator."

Hope this helps.

Todd Swearingen