Hi again Rick

>In a message dated 02/03/2004 9:46:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Hi Rick
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Got my first washed batch done.  (I think)  The ph level is about
>5.4 I don't
> >think that is right.
>
>What did you measure the pH of, the biodiesel or the final
>wash-water?
>
>I measured the biodiesel itself, not the wash water.
>

>And how did you measure it?
>
>I have a electronic ph meter and I used a ph test strip and they both seem to
>say the same.
>

>Did you use acid in the wash?
>
>No I did not use any acid in the wash just pure water.

Todd's given you a nice response, I much agree, but I'll add a couple
of things.

First is the pH of biodiesel. It's said that you can't measure the pH
of biodiesel because it's not an aqueous solution, ie it doesn't
contain water, but it does contain water.

Camillo Holecek of Energia in Austria - high-tech stuff, here:
http://www.energea.at/en_info.html - commented to the Biofuels-biz
list that he was baffled by the low maximum limits for water content
in the various national standards for biodiesel, as low as 200 ppm,
as biodiesel automatically absorbs about 1,200 ppm from the
atmosphere. Your biodiesel had just been washed and would contain at
least that much.

A while back I wrote to the technical staff at Eutech in Singapore
about measuring the pH of biodiesel, major worldwide suppliers of pH
testers. Here's part of their response:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/26712/

This is the gist of it: "But yes, a pH meter will measure biodiesel,
though it might be a bit erratic. Better to measure the pH of each
stage of the wash water. When the wash water reaches neutral, you're
okay, even if the pH meter gives weird readings of the biodiesel
itself. (pH meters need regular calibrating and good care.)"

To be certain you're getting accurate measurements you need a special
electrode and bulb. So measure the wash-water at each stage instead.
Check the pH of your tap-water too, the final wash-water should be
the same as the tap-water. I think it helps when you're a beginner to
check wash-water pH. Sure, when the wash-water is clear it's done,
probably, but you'll learn something by checking the pH, later when
you've got more experience maybe you won't bother anymore. Actually
the pH of the first wash-water is just as interesting as the last -
more about that at the archive ref above.

>Which is okay if you did, though maybe you used too much. If you
>didn't use acid I'd suspect your pH reading.

More about using acid here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html#usingacid

> >What do I do?  It looks great a nice golden brown kinda
> >like honey.  Very clear.  I think it looks good.  But then it is my first
> >batch.  What is the thoughts of the list?
>
>I think it sounds good, well done!
>
>Best
>
>Keith
>
>Thanks, do you think I have useable biodiesel?

Yes. :-)

Best

Keith

>Rick M