Paul,

I had the same problem dissolving the lye and for my test batches I
"constructed" a Methanol shaker out of an old peristaltic pump motor and
some wires. Result was: At room temperature with continuous agitation the
lye dissolves within 30 - 60 minutes.

Andreas Ohnsorge

CSC Computer Sciences Corporation
EBD European Business Development
Business Development Support Manager
Abraham-Lincoln-Park 1
65189 Wiesbaden
Germany
Phone: +49.172.8 43 30 32
Fax: +49. 172.50 8 43 30 32
e-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet: http://www.de.csc.com/

Experience Results. Experience CSC.

for such purpose.

                      "Paul B.

                      Schmidt"                 To:      biofuel@yahoogroups.com

                      <pschmidt                cc:

                      @madriver.com>           Subject: Re: [biofuel] lye not
dissolving? - physical mixing vs time

                      05.02.2004 16:16

                      Please respond

                      to biofuel

What I've read was that it can take anywhere from 12-24 or more hours.  A
very big time discrepency for what would seem to be a standard chemical
reaction that use fixed amounts of chemicals.  I work on technical manuals
and things all day and can get caught up in semantics and exact wording to
much, and this seems to be the case.  Turns out the best reply would have
been "NO, just give it more time..." as about 15 hours seemed to dissolve
it all fine.  Time worked just fine.. as you have noted.

I'm still curious though as replies indiciate that the use of time is more
of a dissolver than physical mixing.

"... Prepare the sodium methoxide 12-24 hours in advance and time will do
most of the dissolving for you, with perhaps an occasional bit of
agitation."

 and

"Once it's all added [ie the lye], replace the stopper and the lid, and
swirl the mixture about for a few seconds. Then let it stand. Do that a few
more times, every few hours or so (at least 4-6 times in all). It will be
thoroughly dissolved in 24 hours, or maybe a bit longer."

Fair enough.  Time will indeed dissolve it quite well, no questions there.
Does anybody know of any test, or personal paractises that have found that
continuous shaking or stirring will decrease the time required to dissolve.
I'm fine waiting a day after doing a titration for the methoxide to
prepare, but if it's dissoved in 3-4 hours, ...  that's an option I'd like
to know about.  Any "ph type" tests you can do to tell that anybody's heard
about?

Just looking for data out there.  :)

- Paul