<x-charset ISO-8859-1>

eric12856 wrote:

>  Very timely news for this topic...
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/02/040204000254.htm
>
> Astronomers Unravel A Mystery Of The Dark Ages: Undergraduates' Work
> Blames Comet For 6th-century 'Nuclear Winter'
> Scientists at Cardiff University, UK, believe they have discovered
> the cause of crop failures and summer frosts some 1,500 years ago – a
> comet colliding with Earth.

    This is interesting.  I watched a documentary on this subject some
time ago, and soil samples dating from that era collected from various
places didn't show the deposition of any extra terrestrial material.
The scientists involved in that study (I think it was on the "Discovery"
channel) found evidence of a massive volcanic eruption, which they
blamed on Krakatoa.

    The article you're citing is a summary.  I would like to read the
actual report.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind