I don't know of anything to contradict what Bill Jones is saying as to
the desire of Big Oil to reform Petroleum, but I don't think they're
that afraid of Hydrogen.  Certainly I could be wrong and their
apparent recent support for H2 could in a way be a ruse.

In the near-term, they would benefit since Hydrogen is generally (more
than 90% at present?) made from Natural Gas. To be sure, installing
Hydrogen technology throughout society would put folks one step closer
to sourcing it in non-Big-Oil-related-ways, but at present Big Oil is
the one who will be selling us the Hydrogen.

Heck, Honda has a Natural Gas powered vehicle that no longer has to be
charged at some special place.  If I understand it correctly, you can
now get such a vehicle and get a special device installed in your
garage that will compress the Natural Gas and put it in your car.  I
have spoken to one industry person who pointed out that the experience
of driving this particular vehicle is not unlike owning a fuel cell
vehicle of the future.  The range is somewhat limited (200 miles) and
you recharge at home or at some special station.

I have sat in a lecture a few years ago where a Texaco person said
point-blank that they liked Hydrogen for its ability to raise the
inherent value of their NG assets.  Now, that was just one person's
opinion.  So, like I said, Bill may be on to something with his
emphasis on the petroleum-to-H2 angle, but I'm just saying that I've
always seen Big Oil as somewhat liking H2, at least compared to some
of the alternatives.

I think the history of the matter going back about 5-10 years is that
Exxon didn't like H2 and made this clear (in such areas as their
NYTimes OP-Eds.  Other Big Oils did like H2 and said so.  There was
disagreement.  At least, that's my recollection.  But more recently I
think Exxon and pretty much everyone has sort of jumped on board and
embraced H2.  That's why I see President Bush's myopic focus on H2, to
the exclusion of even discussing many other alt-fuel-related issues,
as perfectly logical, by the standards he has set.  He's made no bones
about setting energy policy, *and energy policy discussion*, according
basically to what will sit well with certain companies.

Another thing I want to mention is there was a quotation from about
four years ago when VP Candidate Cheney visited Avista Labs and
praised their fuel cell technology.  The language he used at the time
was something like

 ...This is excellent... Your fuel cells are devices that make use of
hydrocarbons to better our lives and energy supply.

I can't put it in quotations because it's nothing approaching
word-for-word but the gist of it was that he was willing to praise it
*based on its relationship to using hydrocarbons*.  I was frankly
shocked to see him make such a bald-faced admission that he'd praise
something on those grounds but not on another.  Are we the "United
States of American Hydrocarbons"?  Was something slipped into the Bill
of Rights demanding that no activity is sanctioned unless it benefits
fossil-derived fuels?

Ridiculous, I say.  At one time a GM CEO said something about What's
good for GM is good for America, and this claim now seems somewhat
transformed to "What's good for Exxon-Mobil is good for America".  I
don't think you'll get anyone to admit to thinking this, but it seems
to be an idea implicit to some of our policies. I disagree with the
idea.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511