esbuck wrote:

>It is my understanding that most of the foods we eat are genetically
>modified, but the mods. were made millenia ago.  Corn (maise) cannot
>reproduce without
>human help, since the kernels, seeds, stick to the cob.  Obviously, corn is
>genetically different than wild maise.  similarly with wheat.  I believe
>domestic wheat has many more genes than the wild variety, emmer.
>Civilization would
>not exist, except for genetic modifications.  Anyone out there prepared to
>expand on that?

It's completely wrong. Natural selection and the selective breeding
practised by the many generations of careful and wise peasant farmers
who've developed our food crops through the millenia have NEVER used
genes from OTHER species to do so, and that's the basis of what's
called Genetic Engineering and Genetically Modified Organisms.

>Myth No. 1: Genetic engineering (GE) is not new. It is just the same
>as speeded-up selective breeding.
>
>FACT: Genetic engineering (GE) and conventional breeding are worlds
>apart. Breeding does not manipulate genes; it involves crossing of
>selected parents of the same or closely related species. In
>contrast, GE involves extracting selected genes from one organism
>(e.g. animals, plants, insects, bacteria) and/or viruses, or
>synthesising copies, and artificially inserting them into another
>completely different organism (eg. food crops). GE usually employs
>virus genes to smuggle in and promote the inserted genes, and
>antibiotic resistance genes to act as markers. All these inserted
>genes are present in every cell of the plant.
http://prorev.com/genetic.htm
Thirteen myths about genetic engineering

Basic but a useful document.

More:

http://www.plant.uoguelph.ca/research/homepages/eclark/10reasons.htm
Ten Reasons why farmers should think twice before growing GE crops

http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1999Q4/myths.html
"Biotechnology Will Feed the World" and Other Myths

http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Genetically-Modified-Foods-are-Inheren
tly-Unsafe.php?menu1_id=9&menu2_id=1
Genetically Modified Foods are Inherently Unsafe

ESB, your level of information on GMOs is in a parlous state. Please
see the GMO refs I provided in the post you've responded to (but
snipped):
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/32240/

It's something you need to know about if you're interested in
biofuels - you'd be wrong to think that biodiesel derived from GMO
soy monocrops or ethanol from GMO maize monocrops were necessarily
environmentally friendly. At the tailpipe maybe, but not far beyond
that.

It's something you need to know anyway.

Best

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511