In a message dated 2/23/04 1:24:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> In a message dated 2/23/2004 7:30:44 AM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> such as Union Carbide's metamorphosis into Dow
> Chemicals after its corporate terrorism in Bhopal (1984).
> As I understood it, there was terrorism, but not by Union Carbide.  Someone
> sabotaged the plant.  Can you clue us in on what really happened?  Please?
> I'd
> really like to know what happened and how and who was at fault.
>
> While we're at the subject of corporate crimes, consider the City of New
> York, which prohibited the use of asbestos insulation in the World Trade
> Center
> when they had only insulated the structure, against fire, up to the 44 th
> floor.
> At that time, long before  9-11, the architect said, "If there's ever a fire
>
> above the 44th floor, that building is coming down."  Whose fault was it
> that
> the buildings did not withstand an unusual fire above the 44th floor?

Search the archives of "Chemical Week" Magazine for information on Phopal.
It is comprehensive although there will be those who will automatically
conclude that the reporting is "biased" because UC's defense is well stated.
Bear in
mind, as well, that  UC's alledged "liability" was predicated on two things,
both tlatently stated by the Indian government:  First, UC was a deep pockets
and second, they engaged in a "dangerous activity" so liability was theirs
regardless of how the tragedy occurred.

As far as the WTC, it is not obvious that asbestos or any other means of
structural protection would have been sufficient to protect the buildings
against
thousands of gallons of jet fuel burning virtually all at once.  I have a hard
time considering this to be a "corporate crime."

-- Jay

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511