and to ensure our national security."
-- From: And Now for Something Really Dangerous
Wednesday, February 25, 2004
by Tom Engelhardt

"... climate change is so dangerous precisely because there are no
borders in natureŠ When you take the global view that nature insists
on, the idea of any one nation planning a 'no regrets' strategy, or
even worrying about 'national security,' is just plain crazy.
Especially when we have years of advance warning to plan for global
cooperation.

"Nature is telling us loud and clear that we must change radically,
from a world of competition to a world of cooperation. Only that
radical shift in thinking will give us a chance to survive. If we can
tear ourselves away from outdated nationalistic fantasies and get
real, nature is giving us a chance to learn new ways to cooperate
around the worldŠ To do anything else would be crazy."
(See below)

See:

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,582584,00.html
CLIMATE COLLAPSE
The Pentagon's Weather Nightmare
The climate could change radically, and fast. That would be the
mother of all national security issues.
FORTUNE
Monday, January 26, 2004
By David Stipp

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1153513,00.html
Now the Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us
Œ?Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
Œ?Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
Œ?Threat to the world is greater than terrorism
Mark Townsend and Paul Harris in New York
Sunday February 22, 2004
The Observer

Also:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/32388/
Pentagon downplays report on climate change that it commissioned
Tue Feb 24
WASHINGTON (AFP)

-----

Published on Monday, February 2, 2004 by CommonDreams.org

Pentagon Goes Crazy for Massive Climate Change

by Ira Chernus

If you want to know the prospects for major climate change in the
years ahead, ask the Pentagon. They have to figure out how to fight
and win, wherever the president sends them. And they always ask the
same question first: What's the weather like out there? If the
forecasters say, "Weather uncertain," smart soldiers plan for every
eventuality.

As Thom Hartmann told commondreams.org readers the other day, weather
forecasters are giving us the biggest "Uncertain" in history. They
say that there might, just might, be a catastrophic climate change in
the next few decades. Global warming might suddenly trigger a massive
global cooling.

They've heard this forecast in the Pentagon, too. So they are drawing
up contingencies plans for the worst case scenario: a long era of
deep freeze, raging storms, and massive drought that leaves billions
of people struggling for the necessities of life.

This is no secret. Fortune magazine just published a summary of the
report. What you can read there may seem perfectly sensible or
perfectly insane. It all depends on your basic assumptions.

The Pentagon planners assume that the future cannot be any different
from the past. "History shows that whenever humans have faced a
choice between starving or raiding, they raid." So we must assume
that, after the great climate change, "an ancient pattern reemerges:
the eruption of desperate, all-out wars over food, water, and energy
supplies. . Warfare may again come to define human life." In the
past, the report notes, wars killed about 25% of each side's adult
males. This time, though, a dozen or more nations might have nuclear
weapons, and "nuclear arms proliferation is inevitable."

But is anything in human life "inevitable"? Couldn't we decide to do
it different this time? Why not start planning for global cooperation
rather than competition? Apparently, this possibility is off the
Pentagon's radar screen. In the past, scarcity usually made nations
compete, not cooperate. Safest to bet that the future will be just
like the past. Is that crazy? Or is it just common sense?

Of course, what looks crazy in one place can look like common sense
somewhere else. If you are in a weak little country, hunkering down
to weather the global storm might seem crazy. But this is the
greatest military power in world history talking.

The Pentagon report does say we should "explore ways to offset abrupt
cooling." But that is only a minor theme. Mostly it urges us to take
care of Number One and keep the U.S. Number One, through an era of
death and suffering beyond our wildest imaginings.

"The U.S. is better positioned to cope than most nations," the report
says reassuringly. The U.S. has more "wealth, technology, and
abundant resources" (not to mention military hardware). "That has a
downside, though: It magnifies the haves-vs.-have-nots gap and
fosters bellicose finger-pointing at America."

Finger-pointing is the least of it, in the Pentagon's vision of a
catastrophic future: "Turning inward, the U.S. effectively seeks to
build a fortress around itself to preserve resources." U.S. borders
are "strengthened to hold back starving immigrants from Mexico, South
America, and the Caribbean islands -- waves of boat people pose
especially grim problems." 9/11/01 might look like a picnic by
comparison.

We will have to become a tough, even heartless, and well-armed
nation. The report calls this the "no regrets" strategy "to ensure
our national security." In the back rooms of the Pentagon they
probably call it the "fuck you, sucker" strategy.

Fear not, though. The strategy works. The U.S. survives, the report
concludes, "without catastrophic losses." Well, naturally. What did
you think? After all, we are the US of A.

It may seem crazy to deny reality with so much at stake. But the
fantasy of security is irresistible, because we are so deeply mired
in our old-fashioned assumptions: life is nation against nation;
every nation takes care of its own; the U.S. has a special destiny in
world history; the U.S., above all others, must protect its own
security to lead the global recovery.

If you stick with these old-fashioned assumptions, it all seems quite
sensible. The world is divided up into nations, and the U.S. is just
looking out for itself, like every other nation. Hasn't it always
been that way?

Well, no. In fact, the nation-state as we know it is only a few
hundred years old. The horrific wars of the 20th century might have
taught us that splitting the world up into armed nation-states was a
bad idea, an experiment that failed. Since most of us didn't get the
message, we could take the specter of catastrophic climate change as
another chance to learn.

Climate change is so dangerous precisely because there are no borders
in nature. What happens in Shanghai affects the weather in Baltimore.
Nature is one huge interactive system. A cold front in Canada doesn't
go to war against a warm front in Cuba. The Gulf Stream doesn't go to
war against El Nino.

When you take the global view that nature insists on, the idea of any
one nation planning a "no regrets" strategy, or even worrying about
"national security," is just plain crazy. Especially when we have
years of advance warning to plan for global cooperation.

Nature is telling us loud and clear that we must change radically,
from a world of competition to a world of cooperation. Only that
radical shift in thinking will give us a chance to survive. If we can
tear ourselves away from outdated nationalistic fantasies and get
real, nature is giving us a chance to learn new ways to cooperate
around the world. Even if the great climate change never happens, the
cooperative steps we take to prepare for it are bound to make
everyone's life better. To do anything else would be crazy.

Ira Chernus is Professor of Religious Studies at the University of
Colorado at Boulder [EMAIL PROTECTED]

###