<x-charset ISO-8859-1>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Below:
>
> csmonitor
> March 03, 2004
> Easy on the eyes and the environment
> The number of environmentally friendly new homes is increasing, as
> builders - and buyers - 'go green.'
>

> To achieve such a reduction, government at all levels must pass
laws
> that all major governmental building renovation and new building
> projects be designed to use half the energy now typically consumed.
> When these standards are in widespread use, building codes for all
> housing developments and commercial, institutional and multifamily
> buildings can be changed to the standard in place for government
> buildings.
>
> With about 5 billion square feet of new construction and 5 billion
> square feet of renovation taking place in the U.S. each year, the
> potential for reducing energy consumption and carbon dioxide
> emissions is enormous. This would put the U.S. well on its way
toward
> meeting its international obligations and demonstrate a way for
> developing nations to cut emissions without sacrificing economic
> growth.

I see a danger in this argument.  The ideas are good, and it's hard to
be against increasing efficiency.  However, I get worried whenever I
see a proposal for new laws that have "no impact on economic growth"
when they require things that cost more.  Ever work in
business/industry on large building projects?  Here's a hint:  If the
technology exists that makes something more efficient and saves money
it gets done.  If it makes it more efficient but the up front cost is
such that the decreased cost of ownership doesn't pay it off, it
doesn't get done.  Everyone will agree that it is a great solution,
and a good idea, but there will be no funding for the project.  Been
there, done that.  If you legislate the change, and the increased cost
of doing business has to come from somewhere.

You can fight over that being right or wrong, or the other benefints
to the world outside of the business.  You might be right.  But to say
it won't impact the economics of the business is flat wrong.

Ed

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511