In a message dated 3/9/2004 6:40:38 PM Central Standard Time

>If Battery EVs continue to be conspicuously and unfairly excluded from
>consideration, based on disingenuous and partly-false claims about
>lack of demand and lack of performance of advanced batteries and
>what-not, ....

OK, suppose we mandated 1 Million EVs to be built next year.  They would
probably have to use lead-acid batteries, as they are the only off-the-shelf
technology available.  They are already expensive, but  what will happen to the
price of lead when GM tries to buy another million tons?  How will they get the
permission to open new lead mines?  The environmental impact statements would
take years to get thrrough the courts.  And the lead smelters?  Worse.  Battery
recycling?  We already ship automobile batteries offshore for recycling,
because of EPA and OSHA.  What will we do with an extra half million tons a
year?
How much space will they evacuate when a train hits an EV, spilling toxic
materials over a quarter mile or so of track?  Or the hydrogen explosion, after
traffic accident?  Then there's the infrastructure, more than a million
charging stations.  They'll be tearing up half the streets in LA, and the folks
in
Utah and Nevada will protest the building of new coal-burning (or nuclear)
electric generating plants there to charge the million cars.  Who will pay for
the huge cost?  The poor folks in West Virginia won't like being taxed to pay
for toys for Green geeks on the west coast.  Suppose you are running for
congress in West VA.  How are you going to sell your "energy plan"?