On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:20:35 -0000, you wrote:

>I realize that, often, the fed govt 'interferes' in state
>laws-constitutions. The reverse is not true. The wishes of
>states, are not compelling on the fed gov't. In the matter
>of MTBE, the US congress(or a fed agency,under congressional
>direction) has jurisdiction over federal policy.
>The states are free to act,

I'm not sure that's true.  Some states have been trying to rid
themselves of MTBE use for a long time now if I'm not mistaken.

More, they are required by federal law to meet some air quality
standards.  I'm not sure if that means mandating an Oxygenate or not.
More, they are up against the fuel makers and distributors who by this
point generally have a de facto statewide and nationwide monopoly or
oligopoly situation, and who seem to have favored their own industry's
product (MTBE) over being required to carry a percentage of a
competing industry's product.

In any event, I seem to recall some very clear efforts by Vermont or
some such state many years (decades) ago to prevent MTBE infestation,
that were thwarted in some way.  Maybe it was lobbying, I don't know.
States are seeing and are going to see costs to the MTBE problem,
which they started using because of Federal laws regarding air
quality.  We'll see if the Federal Government picks up the tab or not.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511