On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:28:56 EST, you wrote:

>"Researchers at the University of Minnesota, Twin cities, have come up with
>an efficient method of converting ethanol, the alcohol produced by the
>fermentation of corn, into hydrogen fuel....The scientists calculate that
>their
>hydrogen-generating system could capture more than 50 percent of the energy
>that
>plants store in the form of sugar.  Approximately two shot glasses of ethanol
>could yeild enough hydrogen to generate 350 watt-hours of electricity."   It's
>done with catalysts at about 140 C.  "The scientists describe their reactor in
>the Feb. 13 SCIENCE."

Ok.  So one of my next questions would be to evaluate how much energy
the ethanol could generate if not converted into hydrogen, but simply
used to generate either electrical energy in some sort of fuel cell or
generator (which would allow for a straight-forward comparison) or
other energy such as heat or mechanical energy.  Then we could ask
what the point is, and under what circumstances we might want to make
use of this process, and under what circumstances leave the ethanol
alone.

Ideally I'd like to see highly efficient fuel cells that can use
ethanol almost directly as a fuel, rather than using H2, and that they
could be scaled to vehicle-sized-power.  This would allow, among other
things, farmers to use ethanol-powered tractors more readily, and this
would in turn close some of the "loop" and provide further undeniable
invalidation of Pimentel's theories.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511