BBC NEWS | Science/Nature |
11 March, 2004, 16:03 GMT

Tell science your climate fears

By Alex Kirby
BBC News Online environment correspondent

The experiment hopes to predict the next century's climate

A big online attempt to predict how the global climate will change
this century wants to hear ordinary people's views.

climateprediction.net, a British initiative, is asking people to log
on and say which of four possible worlds they think will be most
likely by 2100.

Participants are asked to say how much carbon dioxide they expect the
world to emit over the next hundred years.

The scientists say they want to know what people think as their
priorities now will affect what really happens.

Multiple choice

The climateprediction.net website explains that carbon dioxide (CO2)
is a greenhouse gas released into the atmosphere from the burning of
fossil fuels.

It says: "In the atmosphere, it insulates the Earth - the more there
is, the warmer the Earth. How much we emit... will determine how the
Earth's climate changes.

  It's by far the largest full-scale climate model ensemble ever
undertaken. We've used 4,000 years of computer time

Dr Sylvia Knight, climateprediction.net

"Tell us how much CO2 you think people all over the world will emit
over the next 100 years. To help you, we will give you the choice of
four possible future worlds.

"Each develops in a different way, so that by 2100 they are very
different in terms of how many people there are, how wealthy they
are, how much technology has advanced and, crucially, what kind of
fuel they use."

The four worlds are derived from the work of the Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change.

Two suppose a rapid rise in global wealth, one depending mainly on
fossil fuels and the other using mainly renewable energy.

Vote and win

The two other scenarios suggest a slow rise in wealth, again either
with or without a significant increase in fossil fuel use.

There are prizes for the best answers to the question "What do you
think will happen to carbon dioxide emissions?" Voting has opened and
will close at 2359 GMT on 21 March.

Cloud visualisation from the experiment

climateprediction.net is a collaboration between the universities of
Oxford and Reading, the Met Office, the Open University, the
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, and a software company, Tessella
Support Services.

Any computer user can take part by visiting the experiment's website.
Each then downloads and runs a unique version of the Met Office's
climate model, simulating several decades of global climate at a time.

Dr Sylvia Knight of climateprediction.net told BBC News Online: "Our
preliminary results should be available in the next couple of months.

Radio tie-in

"We've had 47,000 people registering on the site, about 20,000
results so far, and 10,000 or so currently running. I think some
people are worried about security, though we haven't infected anyone.

"So it's by far the largest full-scale climate model ensemble ever
undertaken. We've used 4,000 years of computer time already, and it
will last till the end of 2006.

"We'll take into account the results of the vote when we design the
final phase of the experiment, producing a probability-based forecast
of 21st-Century climate."

The on-line vote is part of National Science Week, and will be
launched in a debate on BBC Radio Five Live from 1130 to 1200 GMT on
12 March.