>All the sponsors of the abrupt climate change bill - Maine Republican
>Sens. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, Washington state Democratic
>Sens. Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, and Sen. Jim Jeffords,
>I-Vt. - voted for the McCain-Lieberman bill, while Stevens voted
>against it.

I like what little I've seen of Snowe and Murray.  Otherwise, it does
seem demographically remarkable to point out here that this is four
women and a man from Vermont, the latter being the only Independent
I'm aware of in the Senate.  And as to McCain, although he's a
Republican, and at times a staunch one, he's also willing to buck his
party on certain issues, where he thinks they're particularly wrong.

It is also perhaps pointing out that Mr. Stevens would qualify I
believe as one of the point men in fighting for the right to drill in
his state's ANWR, so we see here a conflict for him to address: the
benefits for his constituents of drilling (certainly very
substantial!) vs. whatever environmental damage will occur not only
from drilling but also... the evidence seems to be showing ... from
general fossil fuel over-use.